SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
don555_gw

Too cold to ripen, calling it quits

don555
11 years ago

I picked the garden peppers a week ago just before the first killing frost, but I saved two potted peppers and put them on a dolly that I would wheel into the garage at night, then back out into the sun during the day. But I've been doing that for 6 days now and there's been very little ripening. It's been cool, around 10C/50F by day, and near freezing at night. If there was a prolonged warm spell in sight I might continue, but Wednesday is supposed to be snow or rain and a high of 2C/36F, so that's it.

I took pics on Oct. 2 when I started moving the pots into the garage, and again 6 days later to see if anything was ripening. You can see a bit of change in these photos, but not much. I was hoping that the cold temps and shorter days would trigger rapid ripening, but it seems warmth is a key factor for ripening. Not going to bring them inside, as that quickly caused aphid problems last year.

I haven't yet decided if I'll grow either of these varieties next year. If I do, I'll start them earlier as they were pretty small when I moved them outside in May.

Charleston Oct. 2: (I had two pickings off this plant by then).

Charleston Oct. 8:

Firecracker Oct. 2: (I'd been picking on an "as needed" basis prior to this.

Firecracker Oct. 8:

Comments (23)

Sponsored