SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

How do YOU deal with the wind?

highalttransplant
14 years ago

I know that I'm not the only location that gets incessant spring winds, and I was just wondering what strategies you guys use for coping with it.

The hardy perennials can take a beating and recover, but my newly planted sprouts just can't handle it. I've tried making collars out of 2L bottles with the top and bottom cut off. They don't blow away if they are pushed down into the soil, but they sometimes shift a little, which causes as much damage as the wind does.

Direct sowing seed is also tricky, since it's almost impossible to keep a consistant moisture level.

... and then there's the issue of irrigation. The winds can make the lawn crunchy in a matter of hours, but you can't get any water on it, when the winds are blowing the water away. Fortunately, the winds are the most calm in the morning, when I run the sprinkler system, but it doesn't always work out.

So does anyone have any tricks or suggestions for minimizing the damage caused by the wind?

Currently, the winds are 22 mph with gusts up to 36 mph, which is forecast to continue for the next two days. Grrrr....

Bonnie

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!