SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ianb_co

Fruit Trees in the Rocky Mountains

ianb_co
13 years ago

Since my 2008 "fruit tree plans" post keeps getting revived, I thought I'd start a general purpose fruit tree thread on what trees we're growing, what's worked well and what's failed for us over time. I'll start:

This is my third year with fruit trees in my Boulder backyard; most of my trees came from Cummins Nursery and Trees of Antiquity, both of which are highly recommended.

The fruit tree list at the moment:

Apples: Ashmead's Kernel, Calville Blanc, Cortland, Cox's Orange Pippin, Jonagold, Kidds Orange Red, Margil, Northern Spy, Reinette Zabergau. Most are on B9 or M7, with two on G11 and one on G30.

Pears: Comice, Magness, Seckel, Warren. The magness is on quince, the others on OHxF 111.

Plums: Geneva Mirabelle, Golden Transparent, Green Gage, Imperial Epineuse, Shropshire Damson

Smyrna Quince, Rosseyenka Persimmon

The apples, pears and plums are all doing well - the apples, except for the Northern Spy, have leafed out, the pears have pushed 3-4" new growth, and the plums are finishing up blossoming. I may well get a good crop of damsons and handful of golden transparents this year.

The Smyrna quince died back to about 6" from the ground - the second year in a row with significant damage - and I'll probably pull it out in the fall, to be replaced with a North Star cherry. No die back at all on the apples and pears, and only a few inches on a couple of the leggiest verticals of the green gage plum.

The Rosseyenka persimmon, which arrived as a tiny (1/4" dia) whip (from a different nursery), doesn't seem to have survived the winter. Perhaps I'll try Meader or Prok.

All the pears and most of the apples are in an espalier, and the plums are planted 5' apart and pruned as goblets or bushes, depending on their branching angles. Since the apples and pears aren't blossoming yet, I've not started a spraying regime; I'm hoping that's not a mistake!

I'd love to hear what y'all are growing, and how they made it through the winter!

Ian

Comments (8)