SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristie73

I'm new too from So Cal to Co Springs

19 years ago

I just moved in to my house this month; I'm on the East part of town - Powers area. I don't have the backyard landscaped. We'll need to bring in rock, soil, and build a retaining wall. My back yard slopes down. I'm originally from Northern Virginia, so I'm not in too much shock with the weather, but I was pretty spoiled in Southern California. I'm fairly new to gardening anyway so learning to plant in Colorado Springs will be fun.

I guess I just wanted to say hello and I'm new too. I'll be on this board quite a bit to ask questions and get advice.

I guess our first start for our yard is to establish proper drainage, build a retaining wall or steps, leveling out the yard some what, and deciding where to have sprinklers because I'll want a little grassy area for my 2 year old. We'll need a patio too. The front yard is huge and has a lot of grass to mow. I don't know what we'll do about that. I'd like to plant trees and I'm hoping some perennials I'm already familar with. Iceberg white roses, blue agapanthus, purple fountain grass, mexcian sage, Mr. Lincoln red roses, calla lillies, Star Jasmine, Mandevilla (Little Red Riding Hood), Aloe, Madagascar Palm, succulents, vegetables and fruit (tomatoes, peppers, and avocado, lemon, trees). I realize some of these I can't plant here and maybe some I can just have as house plants. Any suggestions?

I did bring some of my potted Southern California plants with me. I'm not sure if they are going to make it because sometimes it's a nice day/morning and I set them out on the deck for some sun and then by afternoon the it's raining/snowing and windy. So they've taken a beating already. I have geraniums - that I think are dead. I have a sago palm - I hope it makes it - it's yellowing a little. I have a super dwarf banana plant - it's gotten frozen a little and recovered, but now it got hit again - so it may not come back. I also have a Philodendron-it's doing pretty well here so far. Any advice?

Comments (2)