SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Looks Smarter than a Box of Rocks

digit
10 years ago

Okay, a basket of rocks!

It seems to me that something RM gardeners should have good access to is rocks. There is something called a "gabion wall." They aren't terribly attractive -- just do a google image search.

Gabion is an Italian word and just means "basket." So, they are heavy wire baskets and they are filled with rocks. (Filling them with rocks would make them really heavy!)

The civil engineers are using them all over the place for retaining walls - along highways. I have even seen them holding up hillside paths in parks. Okay, what about a shovelful or 2 of good soil and a plant in there with the rocks? VoilÃÂ : A green wall/vertical garden!

I have seen a close-up of this wall and it, for all the world, looks like it was put together with those plastic milk crates that you see at the backdoor of every supermarket:

The light isn't the best but I just thought the picture (the Amazon campus in Tacoma, building owned by Paul Allen) showed what might be done with a basket . . . holding something. What they are probably holding is the same material used for an erosion blanket. That might be cocunut fiber or a synthetic, poly-something. But, that wall is against the wall of a building.

If you search enuf, you will find some folks have put those gabion walls against buildings. I don't know why they did that. They aren't attractive.

If you search enuf, you will find that the civil engineers have been planting grass on some of their gabion walls. Well, that looks better than stacked baskets of rocks! I think they could do a little better. As a retaining wall, fence or just a landscape feature of some sort, they could be attractive if they are growing plants.

Now, I just need to ask myself if I am willing to build wire baskets. Certainly have the rocks, a shovelful of dirt, a plant . . .

Steve

Comments (16)