SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

Bhuts are red .....WOW!

vieja_gw
16 years ago

This is the first time growing Bhut chile. Though slow to germinate, the plants really took off after a late planting & are about 3 ft. tall & loaded with fruit- even though NM State University, Las Cruces, NM (where the seeds were purchased) mentioned they were rather poor producers. There are numerous clusters of three chiles & each plant is full of clusters & more keep on forming.

My husband can eat some of the hottest local green New Mexico chile & Biker Billy jalapeño cross of most anyone but he has met his match with the Bhut! I can't even go in the garage where the red Bhut is drying on screens on the floor as the air alone in there sends me into coughing & sneezing spasms & hubby has to wear rubber gloves when picking the chile from the plants. Even vigorous showering & lathering will not help... it just spreads the oils that get on the skin, clothes when just walking in the chile patch to pick it with gloves on. Who in the world would want to eat this firey stuff but what else could one use it for!ha

Wish I knew how to send photos I've taken of the chile via GardenWeb ...!

Comments (12)

Sponsored