SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ion_source_guy

Don Juan-Climbing Rose-Winter kill in Fort Collins

ion_source_guy
17 years ago

Three years ago I planted 2 Don Juan climbing roses from Gurneys for my new trellis in Fort Collins, CO. I imported several wheel barrows of excellent soil for each, and the spot gets lots of sun, and adequate water. Several other roses of assorted types in my yard do pretty well. However, each spring I've found both of these Don Juan's are dead down to about 3 or 4 inches above the ground.

The first winter, I thought, well it's a new plant and hasn't built up strength yet. The second winter 05/06 was very dry with occasional periods too warm, so I thought the rose died back because it was such a harsh winter (as was the case with a couple of my others). However, this past winter was moister than usual, with snow cover longer than usual, and not particularly cold. I'm very disappointed to see this spring it is once again dead except the bottom few inches.

It grows okay each summer, but by the end of the summer it's barely chest high. My trellis is a big one, and I was hoping to have roses all over the top of its 7 foot height. I don't think Don Juan is ever going to get to the top of the trellis if none of the canes ever survive the winter.

I searched the web, and found that this variety (Don Juan) is listed with zone hardiness varying from 4 to 6. It's all over the map!

I'm about ready to rip them out and plant something else. Do you think I should give up on Don Juan, or is it worth trying extraordinary efforts to protect it next winter? Do you think maybe I just got a particularly cold vulnerable version of Don Juan?

This seemed more specific than the other Rose thread, so I thought I should start new one. I'm new to your Forum, so not sure.

Thanks,

Bruce

Comments (7)