SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ongodsmountain

geo thermal heating

ongodsmountain
14 years ago

I live in Nor Cal (Next to Mt Lassen Natl Park), and I thought I'd try this question here as a lot of you live in snow country... elevation is about 4200'

I want to build a green house for veggies, dwarf fruit trees, herbs, and the like, for personal consumption and trading/sharing with neighbors... but heating the thing in the winter is a concern (trying to reduce my expenses not increase them)..

So I've been thinking about the idea of using geo thermal heat to heat the greenhouse in the winter... The greenhouse will likely be a geodesic dome built on top of 8 foot high perimeter walls.. one or more greenhouses approximately 12' in diameter... most likely caulked solexx panels will be used on a wooden frame... was even kicking around the idea of using dual layers of solexx with an air space between them to increase insulating ability...

Was thinking about having a buddy of mine dig a hole 9 or ten feet deep, probably slightly larger footprint than the greenhouse, and then looping a couple hundred feet of 1/2" pex in the bottom of the hole (back and forth 'radiator style'), throwing a foot or two of dirt on top, looping another couple hundred feet of pex back and forth, then insulating the pex risers into the greenhouse with neoprene sleeves, and refilling the hole with dirt..

The idea is to use a low wattage pump to circulate water through the pex system into a small radiator (perhaps like that of a cars heater core) and/or through a 55g drum (thermal mass).. A low wattage fan (ie computer fan could then be used to circulate air through the heater core....

I'm also thinking of doing composting 'inside' the greenhouse to provide additional heat....

I understand that the earth stays pretty constant in temperature through out all four seasons (I've heard in the mid fifties) at a level of 8 feet or more down...

Have any of you tried or heard of anyone that's tried such a method and what the results were?

Any other idea of how to heat a greenhouse in the winter in snow country without breaking the bank?

Comments (6)