SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetmagnoliame

Fruit tree pruning - Help!

sweetmagnoliame
16 years ago

The back 1/2 of my back yard is raised above the rest. Just behind the stone fence that marks the start of the back section, I have a plum tree (on the left), a pear tree (in the middle), and an apple tree (on the right). I need your advice about pruning all three.

The apple is probably the easiest to see in these photos. It was apparently ignored for years and I've continued that for the past three years. This fall, during a neighborhood fall clean up, I got carried away and started pruning it (I know you're supposed to wait 'til winter!). I think it's still a bit too tall and wide for where it's planted. The limbs get on the top of the garage in summer and go out into the paths on the left and behind the tree. It's too tall to be easy to prune/gather fruit, and I'm wondering if I need to cut the top down far enough to get rid of all those clumps of smaller limbs that will keep the light from coming down through the middle of the tree.

I think the pear (pictured first, below) and the plum will be a bit easier. They both have these long shoots that tower above the top of the body of the tree. Assume I should remove those. These trees are just starting to run into each other horizontally, and are also beginning to reach into the paths on each side of the space. Should I bring in the width a bit as well?

Thank you all for your help! I promise not to post a new subject every day!

Mags

Comments (8)