SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbauman_gw

Time to stop feeding your plants...winter is coming

kbauman
15 years ago

Hi,

Normally it is stated on this board by our experts, its time to stop feeding your plants and let them go dormant. I stopped in late September. Temps are warm where I live and can drop and be cool nights, then winds..Live in an odd area. November for me in So. CA can be cold rain and wind.

..This time also can start dropping leaves that have grown all year big and beautiful, turn yellow, brownish, spring brings new leaves and growth.

They need to stop growing and face what ever the winter brings. Depends on where you live, what you do with wintering your plants? Come in and share to help new plumie growers. What do you feed last.. I will give epsom salts.

Spring then, they wake up and come alive for another year.

Please come in and give your advise on how you winter your plants, in your area..Tell us where you live and how you winterize..

Karen B.

Comments (9)

• craftymama132001
    15 years ago

Hi, Karen, I'm in Ohio, and after the past 2 beautiful weeks of lots of sun and pleasant temps, it's finally turned cooler and a little rainy here. Definitely time to bring all the plumies inside. I have been re-arranging and making room for all 125 of my babies. lol Still have a long way to go. I'm still in the process of debating whether or not to cut all their leaves off. I've heard a lot of pros and cons to this discussion. Mine are losing their leaves rather quickly the natural way, so I may just leave them be. I still have 4 that are in the blooming process. Two are flowering, and two have inflos growing. These plants I will continue to water until they are done blooming. One of them is Leela, so I'm beyond excited about seeing this one's flowers! Once the others leaves are gone, I'll stack the bigger pots like a pyramid in the spare bedroom. I'll water them all at least once a month until spring. The 1st of March I'll start feeding them, so hopefully I'll have lots more flowers next year. I've never started that early before, so I hope it works for me! I have alot of 1 year old seedlings and some brand new babies. These I will keep going all through winter. They've all been transplanted and are in bright, hopefully warm windows. I only had one case of spider mites last winter, so I hope I'm as lucky this year. That's about all I do on this side of the great USA. If I need to be doing anything extra, I hope someone lets me know. Have a great resting season, everyone! Crafty (Rene')

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm Mary Jane (and I'm addicted to these beauties!!!), I'm just south of Houston, TX near Galveston Bay, the weather is still very pleasant here--high 80's as of yesterday--cold front came in today. It is not time to bring in the plants yet, I am preparing them for winter adding epsom salts to my plants, this is supposed to help them be more 'cold tolerant'. My collection of 40 + plants range from a couple four year old plants, established one year old plants, transplanted rooted cuttings, to newly rooted cuttings started as late as July. Last year, the weather was so mild here, I never had to bring the plants in--it helps to have a tropical micro-climate around our pool in the back yard. :) So this year...my established plants will stay outside until I see a weather prediction of a nighttime low of 35 degrees. Then I will trim all leaves, leaving stem and partial leaf, and put those babies in the garage in their pots. I plan on putting the pots on a few 'cheap' flannel backed vinyl tablecloths that will be spread out on the garage floor. All first year newly rooted cuttings, will come inside the house when a minimum temp. of say 45 degrees is predicted at night. They will then be placed on a lage piece of plywood placed on top of our spa tub inside the master bath. The tub is right next to a 6 foot x 6 foot window that gets a great southernly sun exposure all winter long and hopefully the plants will benefit from the humidity from showers being taken. This is a good thing correct? I am going to try 'not' to mist them and keep them on the dry side w/a little drink maybe once or twice while they are inside.

Rene'--are you going to feed them 'before' your plants 'wake up'? I believe you said the 1st of March---in order to feed them, don't they have to be watered first as to not 'burn them', but in order to water them, don't you need at least a few baby claws/leaves first? Just something to think about...especially being in Ohio. What do you think? I would like to get mine 'jump started' as early as possible---but I think there is a fine line between them being dormant and the right time to 'wake them up'! Because a step in the wrong direction---could lead to some 'mushy' plants. Anyone else have any ideas on this?

I then plan on bringing everyone out the last week of March, gradually give them sun, little drink, and once growth is evident, starting a feeding regimen including epsom salts.

I have my fingers crossed for some beauties in 2009!!!

• Related Discussions

when to stop feeding

Q

Comments (5)
    Mr Subjunctive said it well-- it depends. What really works best is to take your cue from your plants. If they're growing actively, a little fertilizer is fine; if they're just sitting there, they don't need any, and that applies any time of year. If your conditions provide lots of light and reasonable warmth, the plants you mentioned can grow all year 'round. If the light levels get significantly lower &/or temps are cool, growth will probably slow way down (though those particular plants won't enter a true dormancy). I suggest letting the plants "tell" you what they need & when they need it by their growth...and again, I agree with Mr. S's suggestion for fert. -- When in doubt, don't.
    ...See More

stop feeding fish

Q

Comments (3)
    Stop feeding them when the water cools to 50°, and don't feed them again until spring when the water stabilizes at 50° again. The reason for this is not just because the fish have a hard time digesting the food, it's because the beneficial bacteria in your filter that converts ammonia to harmless nitrates is not working well and can't convert the ammonia. If you feed in the winter, you could end up with ammonia problems.
    ...See More

Moving to a new house, how should I stop feeding my hummers?

Q

Comments (3)
    Where do you live? If you live in the Northern US, they may be gone in a few weeks.
    ...See More

should i stop feeding?

Q

Comments (7)
    Keep at least one feeder up. There is a possibility that you will have a winter hummer at your feeder. After the first hard freeze that kills off their natural sources of necter, the somewhat rare winter hummers will be looking for a food source. You may be lucky enough to have one at your feeder.
    ...See More
  • craftymama132001
    15 years ago

Hi, Mary Jane, I'll probably start with epsom salts in my rain water March 1st, hoping that will start them waking up. When I see signs of leaves starting I'll start feeding them. I have the habit of skipping things that probably shouldn't be skipped. lol It makes my family crazy at times. Well, at least I know what I'm thinking! lol Anyway, last spring I didn't know about epsom salts and getting them to start earlier, which maybe caused later inflos. My Princess Victoria and Aztec Gold are blooming now, and my pastel tri-color and Leela are growing inflos now. They will stay awake till they are done blooming!!!!! lol

Hey, Karen, If you're going into your rainy season, get those tubs out and tons of gallon jugs and save all the rain water you can! It'll help though those times when you get no rain. Rene'

• kbauman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Rene,
    thanks so much for sharing your information with all the plumie growers.. will be many who will learn from you and hope ask questions..Thats one of the reasons I wanted to do this, keep all the info in one category.

Tough bringing them inside, thats what I did last year. do not get as cold, but plumie cannot take cold. can see wanting for them to bloom. On the March idea..be sure the night morning temps are in the 50's before you water and feed. I pushed early and singapore got big time black tip. other plants did well, but had to bring back in house, dropped again..dumb mother nature. ha

Great info..WHO IS NEXT DISCUSION.. WEATHER TO TAKE OFF LEAVES OR NOT.
    Karen B

• kbauman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Mary Jane,
    your e-mail is helping me and those that live in So.Ca..I think I did everything wrong last spring, after reading your e-mail..a low of 35 degrees??? ouch. I am right where you are, going to print your e-mail.. thanks so much for this information.. you have helped so many of us..

WHO IS NEXT.. THIS IS FANTASTIC.
    Karen B

• kbauman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hI,
    Back up on information on epsom salts.. this one I do not totally understand.. Also to help others to understand how to use Epsom salts..when? when leaves are falling? when getting cool?

use it when for wake up? .in spring, must water roots..FIRSt.. food will burn. use epsom salt first or food?

KEEP THIS GOING..SO MUCH GREAT INFO FOR ALL OF US.
    Karen b

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Karen B.

35 degrees--I can wait for it to go so low because I have tropical micro-climate around my pool area! The side of our red brick house faces the west, absorbs the sun during the day, and then the steam from the warm pool water protects all the plants! I also have several huge patio umbrella holes in the pool decking, so when the umbrellas are open, it holds in the warmth of the brick, flagstone, and pool water. It's pretty cool--kind of planned it that way after many years of experience trying to adjust the winter protection of my tropical plants. Mama didn't raise no dummy!! :)

Epsom Salts--I use them year round and starting in September, I start to increase the dosage of Epsom Salts given to the established plants that will be staying outside. A search of Epsom Salts will probably bring up some past discussions on this forum. I don't know the scientific reason, but it has something to do with giving plants a boost in their tolerance of 'colder temps'. That being said, some plumeria are cold hardier than others.

Watering a plant still in the dormant stage, and then a sudden dip in the temps, could or should I say would bring any plant-especially anything tropical, to it's knees and be the kiss of death.

Here in our area around the gulf--we have seen an 'adjustment' in the normal winter lows. I don't know what this winter will bring, but I do know this has many farmers/gardeners puzzled. But the 'warmer' trend is a blessing with plumerias!!!

• kbauman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi funin the sun..
    that is brilliant micro climate around your pool..cause that temp could be a problem.

How often then do you give the plants epsom salt. Most of mine are in pots, now only have about 8 in the ground, took several out and put them back in pots, paniced. . Think the temps here are ok when dormant,on the porch covered....just the possiblilty of constant rain...if it happens this year. Last year chilly nights, dormant plants and lots of rain. Some of my plants grew better..had some rot. Don't use much epsom salt.. so weekly? monthly? thanks

Hope this helps other members too.
    Karen B

• kbauman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,
    this year I am doing it totally different. I am not bringing established plants in for the winter, too big. wintering on the patio..March may be too cool for me to water..had to water in May. So March cannot be the month, depends on weather..do you agree?..last year inside my plants did not drop leaves. I will experience different dormacy perhaps..will cover with freeze cloths

Information for all plumie growers..come in and share.
    Karen B