SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowheather

Share Some of Last Year's Best Ones

snowheather
15 years ago

Let's share some pictures of some of our garden stars from last year to cheer us up. Plus - maybe some people are ordering roses and could use some enabling! Here's a few of mine.

This is Loving Son, a gorgeous rose. It grew to normal size in one year from an own-root band from Rogue Valley. I just ordered another one!

This is Blake Hedrick, an Eddie Edwards rose.

I think Soutine may be the best striped hybrid tea!

Here's Cajun Sunrise - another Eddie Edwards rose.

It's hard to take a bad picture of Quietness. It is such a lovely rose.

And, here's Chantel Merieux, a Generosa that is really eye-catching in the garden.

Comments (40)

• markiz37
    15 years ago

Beautiful photos and I really like Chantal Merieux. I'm wondering how tall and wide it gets for you?
    Here are a few of my favorites

Flora Danica

Cherry Parfait

{{gwi:228938}}

Soutine

April Hamer

Imperatrice Farah

• snowheather
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Lana. You are so good at both hobbies - rose growing and photography! I wish Photobucket didn't delete photos so fast, as I like to go back and look at them again!

You pictured two roses I would like to get - if I had room - Imperatrice Farah and Flora Danica. Do they get large enough for showing? I have two of the other roses you pictured, but don't have April Hamer, which looks lovely.

Chantal Merieux is not a big shrub yet, and doesn't look like it will be. It is about three feet high and four feet wide. But - I planted it right next to a Blue Atlas Cedar, so it is not in the best place.

• Related Discussions

Best new annual you've tried the last few years?

Q

Comments (15)
    Not exactly a color plant but I have just tried elephant ears for the first time in a planter with other annuals that have color and I'm in love with this plant. The ears get huge! I've got a kind whose ears are "born" green and then turns black over a couple of days time, almost like being watercolored by the suns rays. I say "born" because of how new leaves emerge. It's fascinating! This plant has a maroonish red stem topped with a black ear. The stem separates and a green furled leaf peeks out, pushing out more and more, until it emerges with its own stem, the ear unfurls green and then turns black. Later, a week or two, the stem of that newer leaf bulges, cracks open, and a new leaf peeks out, startig the process over again. The process is a bit like those Russian stacking dolls, dolls within dolls, but each ear is a bit bigger than it's "mom ear". I see that you're zone 5 Ma - I got this plant at Andrew's in Amherst.
    ...See More

need to talk with who sent me some hydrangeas last year -from Tex

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Chrmann, I think the person who sent hydrangeas was me. One is "Jogasaki" and the other is "Otaksa". Jogasaki is a lacecap and Otaksa is a mophead type. Thanks! - Seiko
    ...See More

Some new seedlings and one from last year.

Q

Comments (8)
    Lisa - It's interesting to see the sibs from the Trahlyta and Laura Harwood cross. You can really see that Trahlyta influence in most of them. My favorite is the first seedling. I also love that last seedling you posted with the blue band. I would give it more time, too. It's really pretty! Debra
    ...See More

Some Azaleas from last year!!!!

Q

Comments (4)
    Very nice, That just reminds me that I need to reshape my azalea in the front yard after it blooms. It had a lot of damage from ice that accumulated on it a couple years past. I think one more prune should do the job.
    ...See More
  • markiz37
    15 years ago

Thanks, Snowheather. I'm going to order Chantal Merieux.
    Flora Danica-small schrub, 3 feet tall x 3 feet wide, beautiful salmon-orange color, disease resistant.

Imperatrice Farah-gets 6 feet tall and only 2-2,5 feet wide, very vigorous and disease resistant. The only downside of this plant is the lack of fragrance.
    Both plants are on Multiflora root stock from Hortico.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

All the pics and roses are lovely, but I'm particularly taken by Soutine. I looked it up at HMF--it says it is a HT 14 inches tall? Is that for real? Sounds like a mini.

Tell me about it. Is it a good bloomer? Disease resistance?

Thanks for the ideas for spring orders (just what I needed--yeah, sure!)

LOL

Kate

• aprilscott12
    15 years ago

Snowheather...wow...great pictures! Loving son is sooo pretty and Blake looks like velvet. I have quietness on my list but haven't broke down and ordered it yet. Does it repeat well for you? Cajun sunrise is gorgeous too. And Flora Danica...sheesh...you are about to enable me and I'm trying really really hard to only order ones that I have a definite spot ready to put them in. Only problem is ...I have acres of land just begging me to plant. Thanks for the pretty pictures on this COLD COLD January day! April

• snowheather
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kate, that is a real error on HMF. Soutine is a normal sized HT! I am not sure how to correct errors there.

And, April, yes Quietness repeats very frequently. Cajun Sunrise, on the other hand, doesn't repeat very often, but when it does, the blooms are perfect (if the bugs leave them alone.)

• celeste/NH
    15 years ago

snowheather....I also got "Loving Son" last year from Rogue Valley and I'm wondering (and worrying) how it will fare over the winter, especially now that it has been minus-22 degrees the past 2 nights. I had tried to learn its zone hardiness and I was told it is for zone 6 or 7 and up so it may not make it. The thing that might save it is that it is under 2 1/2 feet of snow and I mounded it. I have roses to represent the names of each member of my family, and the only one I couldn't find was for my son Tim....no "Tim" roses that I know of.....but this rose is perfect for him because he has been a very loving son for all his 25 years. So I would be heartbroken to lose it.

Anyway, here's a few of mine that were new in 2008 and which I was very pleased with. I can't wait to see what they will do this year!

Celeste

AMAZING GRACE....(in honor of my daughter Grace)

This rose is VERY FRAGRANT and the blooms are very large...
    this bloom came from a tiny "band" and the bloom was 6" across on a spindly 12" tall band. The bloom was almost
    the size of the plant! The color was a deeper pink when first opening and later paler pink. The petal backs are cream-colored for a lovely contrast.

{{gwi:204596}}

CARELESS LOVE.....

GOLDEN WINGS....

{{gwi:322434}}

MORNING MIST....

CABANA....

{{gwi:334885}}

BELLE STORY....

SECRET....

MARIA STERN....
    {{gwi:239371}}

BLUEBERRY HILL....

THE ALEXANDRA ROSE....

PRAIRIE STAR......

• katefisher
    15 years ago

Kate:

I just ordered Soutine from Vintage (bands, not custom root.) They had and may still have a limited number of them this year. Providing a link for you of the conversation that got me interested in Soutine to begin with:)

Hope this helps.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Stripey's in general

• aprilscott12
    15 years ago

OH MY Celeste...Now you've done it! I'm enabled AGAIN!!! I MUST have Amazing Grace both for the beauty and the name! Is Blueberry Hill more pink or lavender do you think? I LOVE it! And Prairie Star looks perfect for my cream bed! I REALLY need to quit coming to this site so much when it's soooo cold outside and I'm stuck inside STARVING for flowers!!! Thanks for the ever dependable enabling! April

P.S. I went to kroger today and bought a WHOLE bunch of peruvian lillies to quench my flower thirst...just had threw out the SIXTY roses I had gotten a 2 weeks ago...they had a great sale on them and I am just a teensy weensy OCD......

• geodave
    15 years ago

The rootstock rose Dr. Huey plant grown for 2 years on its own.

• celeste/NH
    15 years ago

April....
    Enabling and ordering lots more roses is how I survive my long, cold winters!
    Blueberry Hill is definitely lavender in my garden. Here's a couple more shots up close to show its true color.
    The petal backs are a deeper shade of purple.
    {{gwi:338651}}

{{gwi:338653}}

You will love Amazing Grace, I promise. I could not believe the sheer size of its bloom considering the plant was a teensy band. I made sure to plant it right by my front steps because of the fragrance which is delicious.

Here's another of Prairie Star to seal the deal....

{{gwi:229031}}

It is cream-white with just a blush of pale pink in the center.

• inga007
    15 years ago

Lovely, lovely eye candy.
    Thank you all. Inga

• margaretk
    15 years ago

Snowheather, it's not nice to post such gorgeous pictures when we're rose-deprived. Since these wonderful beauties will obviously grow in my area, what's the answer to the really big question:

WHICH ONES ARE FRAGRANT???

You've done such a great job on your gardens - makes me wish I could start fresh, knowing what I know now instead of what I knew 15 years ago!

Margaret

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Celeste, your 'Belle Story' has blooms as big as your hands, and they're beautiful! Great looking rose.

In my garden, 'Souvenir de la Malmaison' was one of last year's best ... as always.

Randy

Souvenir de la Malmaison:

• niecey
    15 years ago

These are some of my best ones from last year.
    Distant Drums

Tamora
    {{gwi:309730}}
    Beryl Bach
    {{gwi:309732}}
    Golden Celebration

Nicole

Wishing

Claire Renaissance
    {{gwi:304282}}
    {{gwi:303252}}
    Nicecey

• bethnorcal9
    15 years ago

Kate, you'll be glad you got SOUTINE! It really is a wonderful rose. In our climate it averages about 4ft high and 2-2½ft wide. Blooms all season. And they last forever!

Here are a few of my favorites from last yr:

BRIDAL SHOWER - This is a J&P one that was offered for a limited time in the 90's, and it nearly died on me a few yrs ago. I'm so glad it recovered!
    {{gwi:1198267}}

CATALINA - This one didn't bloom the first yr I got it, and apparently is going to be a stingy one... but I love this one bloom I got last yr!
    {{gwi:1198268}}

LAVANDE - I moved this one from the shady backyard after it did nothing for 5yrs, and it took off like a weed this past season.
    {{gwi:335066}}

LADY BIRD - I'm very impressed with her humongous, long-lasting blooms!
    {{gwi:1198269}}

PRINCESS ROYAL - This is one of the prettiest, and palest blooms this rose has ever produced for me.
    {{gwi:1198270}}

POLO CLUB - One of the roses I rooted from cuttings I got yrs ago from a Forum lurker I used to trade with. I LOVE this rose!
    {{gwi:1198271}}

RED INTUITION - My all-time favorite red rose!
    {{gwi:329912}}

SEVENTH HEAVEN - This one really bloomed it's head off last yr! I love the orange center and the pinky outer petals.
    {{gwi:1198272}}

VENDEE IMPERIALE - Fast becoming one of my favorites roses!
    {{gwi:304800}}

• snowheather
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What beautiful roses and photos! Celeste, I am excited about AMAZING GRACE. I got it from Heirloom during their fall sale and put it in my fragrance garden. Since it was just a band, I haven't seen what it can do yet. Also, I have CARELESS LOVE in that garden, but it is starting to annoy me because it balls so much. Does yours? I absolutely love all the singles, particularly ALEXANDRA and MORNING MIST.

Geodave, I never saw Dr. Huey in its natural form. No wonder roses on its rootstock grow so big!

Margaret, thanks for the compliments on my garden, and you must come see it in Spring. But, I cannot take credit for good planning and selection - if you only knew how many I have shovel pruned or given away! Oh, by the way, CHANTAL MERIEUX and LOVING SON are fragrant.

Randy, that is a splendid bouquet of SOUVENIR DE LA MALMAISON And, Niecey, the photos of your beautiful roses are just luminous! I was wondering about CLAIRE RENAISSANCE. I am about to shovel prune THE CLAIRE ROSE, even though I planted it because that is the name of one of my granddaughters. (It seldom blooms and they only last a nano second!) So, does that one bloom frequently?

Again, looks like you all had some fabulous roses last year. Here's to even more this coming year!!!

• snowheather
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You must have come in at the same time as I did, Beth! Thanks for joining in with fantastic photos! I also am still wondering about CATALINA, although it shows promise. I haven't had LADY BIRD long enough to see a bloom like that yet either. I would love to have POLO CLUB, but I don't have a clue how to get it! I do have RED INTUITION ordered, but it will be a year, at least, before I see a bloom like that. I love the others, too!

OH, and Margaret, I forgot to mention that QUIETNESS and SOUTINE are also in my fragrance bed.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Beautiful pictures everyone. I really enjoyed seeing them, thank you.

• carla17
    15 years ago

Wow, it would take me two paragraphs to pick all my favorites. You guys have some delicious roses. Here's a few of mine from last year.
    Livin Easy

{{gwi:228152}}
    {{gwi:308228}}
    {{gwi:237776}}
    {{gwi:297730}}
    Carla

• snowheather
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Diane - Those are the roses you grow when you are slacking off? Yow! For one thing, my HOT PRINCESS never looked like that! And, I am so glad I have STEPHEN RULO coming. You have some splendid roses.

And, Carla - you're torturing me! What are the names of those last roses, particularly the striped pink one?

• carla17
    15 years ago

Snowheather, Thank you. The pink striped is Rainbow, a tea rose that I adore. Blooms all the time. The very last is Quietness.
    Niecey, outstanding photos! Makes my mouth water.
    Such wonderful pictures everyone.

Carla

• niecey
    15 years ago

Great thread snowheather!!
    The vibrant colors, the shapes and forms, and all of those gorgeous photos look so tantalizing.
    Makes me want to get my glass out and make me a smoothie.
    Drool! Drool!
    With -15 and feels like -35 with the wind,(brr, brr,) every one's roses look like eye candy and a breath of sunshine right about now.
    Keep them pics coming
    Niecey

• austinbabe
    15 years ago

How enjoyable to view such beauties on an extremely chilly, winter day. Keep 'em coming!

Here are a few more that will hopefully put a smile on your face.

Simone

Marie Pavie

{{gwi:1198282}}

Bonica

{{gwi:1198283}}

Caramel Antike

{{gwi:1198284}}

Felicia

{{gwi:1198285}}

Frederic Mistral

{{gwi:1198286}}

Leda

{{gwi:232108}}

Lichtkonigen Lucia

{{gwi:1198287}}

Louisa Stone

{{gwi:1198289}}

Wildeve

{{gwi:1198291}}

• niecey
    15 years ago

Fantastic photos of beautiful roses, Simone

Louisa Stone catches my eye,
    Where did you purchase this rose?
    Niecey

• austinbabe
    15 years ago

Niecey, Louisa is a hardy Harkness Shrub rose from Pickering. She has a lovely fragrance, repeats very well, and is quite disease resistant.

• carla17
    15 years ago

Simone, your photos are really beautiful! I am happy to see Felicia because I have it in a pot ready to go in ground.

Carla

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    15 years ago

Here are some of mine. The first is a spray on Hopie Girl.

The next one I have never seen posted. It is the old floribunda Sea of Fire.

The next one is a more modern floribunda, Lavaglut, in the best lighting I could manage with my camera to capture the color.

{{gwi:350843}}

The next one is the hybrid perpetual once-bloomer John Hopper.

The next one is one of the best white floribundas that I have grown, Ice White.

This next one has turned into a rather nice yellow floribunda, Golden Holstein.

This one is one of the better Portlands that I have, General Cavaignac.

Next is the ever delicate Dainty Bess.

Not to be outdone in the rose noir group, here is a closeup of a Cardinal Richilieu bloom.

One of the better lavender floribundas to come along for me is Blueberry Hill.

I also got Loving Son from Rogue Valley Roses and have been rather impressed with it.

This one changes color from vermilion to watermelon pink during its flowering. Here is Benjamin Britten.

{{gwi:224215}}

Another of the best lavender floribundas, Simply Marvelous.

{{gwi:331085}}

One of my favorites for a very in-your-face color and a very bright spot in the garden, Kordes' Brilliant.

{{gwi:308466}}

A real dandy of a grandiflora, Boulie's Dream.

And, finally, the oddest picture of a rose that I have ever taken, showing again, the Shi-Un peeking out of the cedar tree.

I hope you like these.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Thank you snowheather!

Bustopher, that is super capturing of CdR's color! I love that rose!

• austinbabe
    15 years ago

Forgot..

Sensation

{{gwi:1198318}}

Variegata

{{gwi:1198319}}

Mecene

{{gwi:228451}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

'Brass Band' was memorable...
    {{gwi:259670}}
    {{gwi:224992}}

• aprille
    15 years ago

All of those pictures are gorgeous! I'm too lazy to try and find any of mine :o) Hoovb - that Brass Band is definitely memorable! I need a few for my front yard I think.

Thanks for sharing everyone - just what I needed to keep me going till my roses start blooming again.

Aprille

• elgrillo
    15 years ago

My Oh My, Brass Band is really stunning with that many blooms! It was new for me last year, so I hope it will do well this summer.

My best bloomers have been Brigadoons for the last several years. I am afraid the right one in the photo has crown gall, and they are grouped so closely.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Brigadoon at HMF

• kristin_flower
    15 years ago

Pretty Jessica:

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Kristin, your 'Pretty Jessica' is Mmm good ... nice shot of it.

Randy

• rainbow_2007
    15 years ago

Lavaglut

• canadian_rose
    15 years ago

Wow!!! Those were amazing photos!!!!

The one that really knocked my socks off is SOUVENIR DE LA MALMAISON!!!! Good Grief - just doesn't get any better.

Thanks everyone!!!

Carol

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    14 years ago

Cotillion (Perfume Perfection)

{{gwi:1198323}}

Molineux

{{gwi:1198324}}

Summer Love

{{gwi:1198326}}

• snowheather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for bumping this one up, Decobug! I definately have to get Summer Love - right after I figure out where I would put it!

And, it was lovely re-looking at everyone's gorgeous pictures. I do wonder why the Picture Trail and Photobucket ones disappear though.

I think I'll go bump up another one from Spring!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!