SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarcazm_gw

Chilies are taking over my apartment!

sarcazm
13 years ago

myy boyfriend and I have an apartment in DFW and we have this fabulous room with a lot of windows and very poor air conditioning which is great for our plants. and by plants, we have many, entirely on accident, you see. our friend's mother is from the phillipines and has what she told us, in broken english, a few full sized thai chili pepper plants. since we love chilis, and have no gardening experience whatsoever, and no yard to speak of, we begged, and she gave us some dried chilis. they were about an inch long, ranging from yellow to a tomato color. because we're morons we pretty much scattered all the seeds in a few pots.

after a few massive problems with things like organic soil infested with spider mites (these forums helped me IMMENSELY with that, thanks so much guys!), of having to re-pot what started out with about 75 *$@^(%$# seedlings now 4 or 5 times since may of 2010, and we are still running out of space, things like that, we're still learning.

OBVIOUSLY. these little guys have been through hell and they just keep kicking! one is still in quarantine, even after the whole mite issue, because i saw 3, and i am not ruining what is turning out to be a crop. the tobacco juice thing seems to have done the trick on them, after the bleach (1/4 cup per gallon of water) worked on the rest (too late for my basil though, it had to be sacrificed). these plants actually came out hardier after the bleach. we were shocked. our friend, the one whose mother gave us the plants, calls them boonie peppers, and said they also grow wild all over guam, which is where she smuggled them in from. which also has me really confused as to exactly what we've got here.

i think about 50-55 out of the original 75 are going to make it (i'm never buying organic soil again, that's for sure, and i sterilize everything now just in case, including my soil, and add in my nutrients afterward), though i have no idea how we're going to fit them all, even with this stadium seating thing we've started to arrange, and that we're going to have to start giving some away to friends as gifts before they've begun to flower and fruit, due to lack of space, pots, and finances.the healthiest of the bunch are staked with bamboo kabob skewers at about a bit over 12" high.

we're not sure when they should typically begin to flower, though after all the reading i've done, i'm assuming it won't be till next year. and then about a month after that they should start to fruit. i know they need more phosphates in their soil, but i don't know if we should keep up with their current fertilizer to allow them to continue to grow to full size yet.

i'd also like to know because as i give these other seedlings away i'd like to make up a care sheet so that our friends don't kill some of the babies we went through hell it seems to rescue so many times. by accident. because obviously we're learning as we go.

sorry for the novel, and thanks in advance for all your help! ...

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH