SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tired_of_digging

Profits from your home greenhouse -- Will that work ?

tired_of_digging
17 years ago

I have been considering turning my 5 year-old hobby into a productive and (God willing) a profitable career. Given the current situation, I am not psychologically ready to dump my good-income office job and swim with the sharks of taxes and the competitive market.

My job does not allow me a full-time surveillance over all aspects of this endeavor, such as attending the seedlings, protecting a large collection from the elements, and the challenges of micro-propagation. I am right now in the process of designing a 6.6x2.6 ft greenhouse, with 5 shelves and measuring 6 feet high. The shelves will accommodate propagated plants, and the front side of the greenhouse will accommodate tall plants, which will provide shade for the shade-lovers on the shelves. The greenhouse will also stabilize temperature and humidity to those seedlings and cuttings which I will grow. My basic idea is that if the endeavor succeeds and a larger greenhouse is needed, I will use this one mainly for propagation and the larger ones for cultivation.

Some plants will be grown from cuttings, and as I gain more experience and collect enough seeds, I will start sowing as well. I have chosen a few family / gropus of plants suited for the job.

These will be propagated in the greenhouse and moved elsewhere when mature:

- Passifloras

- Hoyas

- Hibiscus

- saintpaulias (Other gesneriads are difficult to find, but I am in search of local suppliers)

- Aroids

The followings are capable of surviving outside the greenhouse:

- bulbs: My bulbs are reproducing very quickly, and within a year or two, I will have enough bulbs to establish a breeding core, thus avoiding dwindling by selling more bulbs than what I make.

- cacti: Mainly tropical species, such as Rhipsalis, Schlumbergera and many more. I will have to find a source of seeds, but meanwhile I will grow them from cuttings.

The immediate interest in doing this is gaining experience, rather than profits. I will be able to record expenditures (potting soil, pots, seeds, propagation plants, pesticides and fertilizers) and sales income. This will allow me to pinpoint problematic aspects which need improvement. Technical literature abounds, and wholesale distribution to local florist shops can give me a good start.

Would that be of any help? Enough experience maybe, but how far can I profit on that scale? Does large-scale cutting propagation prove helpful, or am I relying on it too much?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County