SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slimwilly

Greenhouse growing for small profit-with kids :)

slimwilly
12 years ago

Howdy Folks,

I was hoping for a bit of advice and was focusing more on the "operational" side of growing utilizing a greenhouse for early starts in the late winter/early spring. I have two young children and we have built a small greenhouse this summer (8x12). I really enjoy growing anything I can and my wife and I love getting the kids involved with all the fun stuff like weeding and watering :) I have been growing veggies and bedding plants for a couple years and giving most of what I grow away to friends and family. I was thinking about trying to grow a bit more next year and maybe seeing if we could sell some vegetables and flowering plants from the house. My intent is to keep the kids involved, work hard, and if they can sell some plants, maybe use some of their money to buy a new bike or toy.

Long opening, trying to get to the questions :p

I will have the greenhouse heated and water available year round. I also have the ability to start seeds in the garage using (2) 5 shelf systems with lights. I'm in zone 6, east side of the cascades in WA. What would be the best process to start plants from seed and be ready to have our first "plant sale" by say June 1st? Do I start indoors, pot up and transfer to heated greenhouse and then at some point go from greenhouse to cold frames? I have done allot of reading from the forums but I am having a hard time putting it all together, if that makes any sense. We do not have a huge yard so I am trying to be very efficient with my growing spaces.

Please bear in mind that I am not trying to start a backyard nursery. I really enjoy growing as a hobby and love getting the family involved. If I can grow some nice looking plants and make the kids a few extra cents that would be a bonus :)

I'm allover the map on my post and apologize...must drink more coffee.

I'll post some pics of the greenhouse once completed. My first attempt at building from a design on paper (after reading many posts on this forum).

Thanks guys!

Comments (2)