SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_jurgensen

Watergarden historically appropriate?

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum, so excuse me if I sound a bit ignorant :)

I am purchasing my first home- an 1880 Victorian in a southern suburb town (of the twin cities) in MN. The home has a lovely, good sized corner lot yard, about 1/2 an acre.

There are some gorgeous mature trees (3 black walnuts, a maple and an oak), with many flower beds along the house-all of which are overgrown and need some love. Many of the plants are older- It's hard for me tell if they are original to the home or not, but I do have many peonies, poppies, lillies, day lillies, fern, and some overgrown lilacs.

Much of the historical elements of the home have been stripped (no external millwork, the porch has been screened in, vinyl siding, etc), and we are trying to give the grounds and home back a more historical feel.

I would love to have add a watergarden to our yard. While I'm sure that not many families would have had them, I was hoping that perhaps a gemometrically laid out watergarden might be appropriate... I do know from the research I've done that the hybridizing of water lillies began about the time my home was built.

I would also like to plant some fruit- apple tress (far, far away from those walnut trees, I know!) blueberries, raspberries, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's very difficult for me to figure out exactly what style my home is- I know it was built in 1880, and has a gabled roofline. The home itself is a two story square shape, with 2 large bay windows one on the west, and one on the east side of the house. Since no millwork remains, I'm having some trouble with identification.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Templeflower :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions