SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vegangirl_gw

Best way to re-do old flower bed

vegangirl
19 years ago

I have a L-shaped flower bed that is about 60 feet long, along the driveway. It's backed by an old split rail fence laid out in a zig zag pattern. There are 4 sections (one corresponding to each section of the fence.) I started this bed 24 years ago and basically neglected it for 15 years while we were working and traveling elsewhere. We came back here 6 years ago and I have been craming perennials that I have started from seeds and cuttings and rescued daffodils into it as a holding place while we are building our house. (We finally started some nursery beds to put things because the flower bed is so full). Anyway, my question is how is the best way to re-do this bed? I will have to only do one or one-half a section at a time. There are several plants that I don't want to move-red hot pokers, gas plant, and peonies. Can I dig out everything in a section that I want to move and safely keep it a day or two in the shade while I dig out weeds, add nutrients, etc? I don't want to lose anything. I have lots of grape hyacinths and other bulbs in there too and I don't know if it would be better to just dig and ignore them or try to salvage them. I really don't have the money to replace them all. When is the best time to do all this? It looks so awful that I would like to just get it over with:-)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions