SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harleylady_gw

Historic Home - Garden Restoration

harleylady
17 years ago

I recently purchased a home that is on the national registry of historic places and have been giving a great deal of thought to how to do the garden so that it will reflect the period of the house and complement it and also how to gracefully include the collector and zonal denial plants to which I'm addicted.

The only early illustration of the house that I have is from 1878, just 4 years after it was built, and it shows a dirt yard with a few trees and shrubs.

I have been researching to see what sort of garden if any a pioneer farmer in Oregon might have had in the 19th century. I didn't believe that there would have been time or energy for much ornamental gardening. Well, this weekend I received from the previous owner the most fantastic document with quotes from family members about the gardens in the early 20th century. Am very excited to find out that the original owner collected plant oddities so my penchant for the weird would be appropriate to this garden. While I'm not going to try to reproduce the garden exactly as it was, this will be very useful in planning a garden that's appropriate.

This is a quote from a letter that the original owner's granddaughter wrote:

"The orchards I told you about had many varieties of trees--little pickling pears and even a huge one-pound pear (this was kept all winter before it was ready to use). Grandpa evidently liked to collect a variety of oddities--such as the Coffee tree, the Slippery elms tree (the shavings of this tree were boiled and the liquid used on the hair to help hold the curl), and the Glory-Monday apple tree--all in the back yard. This apple was really a good producer and a huge sized fruit."

And it has this description from another relative of what the garden was like in 1908/1909:

"When Aunt Ida lived in the house, there were orchards to the south and away from the house; they contained exotic small pears, some pears of other varieties, plums, and apples. Around the house was a quite neat, formal yard, nothing like what they have there now, wth a large lawn of grass in front of the house and to the south of the house, under the parlor windows. In the back of the house, the ground was covered with large violets, up to the house; there was just a smalll porch and a neat pathway leading out towards the outbuildings to the southwest. The deck that is now is not original. But I remember those violets, they covered the ground. There was also a Glory-Monday tree behind the house and a bing cherry tree. To the north and west of the house, where the scale house was there were grape vines, raspberries and pear trees, and the Cedar tree which is still there. Just in front of the center porch of the house, along the walkway, Aunt Ida planted sweet peas. Just off the front porch, as you stood just out of the front door, down to the left was a ground cover of Aaron's Beard. The rather formal front yard was framed by a fence, much like the one in the 1878 Atlas, and the boardwalk ran all the way from the front porch out towards the main street of town. Uncle Tom would stroll to town to get the mail and have his daily visit with the town croonies [sic]. I guess grandpa did the same when he lived in the big house. Along the inside of the fence was a neat row of boxwoods, all neatly trimmed and clipped, there were some Peonies and Snowball bushes in the front also, towards the southeast corner of the fenced part. Vegetables were never planted near the house, Aunt Ida's yard was always neat and formal."

Comments (13)

Sponsored
More Discussions