SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mishac_gw

restoration of family garden

mishac
16 years ago

i have spent the last 30 years restoring the garden on my family's farm in tn. the garden was first created by my great, great, great, great grendmother in the 1830s.we have even found evidence of plantings around an old log cabin that dates back to 1788, when the property was first settled by my ancestor as a land grant in lieu of payment for military service in the revolutionary war. the bones of the garden that i garden in today were layed out in the 1830s, however. because each generation pretty much went it's own was concerning what was grown and what was added, i feel that my work is as much a continuation as a restoration and the garden is anything but a frozen museum piece.all my ancestors added new varieties of plants as they became avaliable. while i have a very nice collection of heritage plants, old fashioned flowers are my favorites, i do not hesitate to add new species and varieties as i see fit.i vet these very carefully because many new varieties strike me as wrong somhow if not out and out vulgar--encore azaleas and knock out roses are the most obvious examples. i have a wealth of letters, lists, invoices and photographs that aid me in maintaining and restoring the garden, which suffered a good deal of benign neglect for a number of years before my family came into possession of it in the 1970s. we have found many planing holes that accomodated shrubs and small trees, and there are over 10,000 daffodills that have beeen planted over the generations. the glory of the garden, however is it's boxwoods which number in the hundreds, these and the old shrub roses are the soul of the place. we also have many varieties of herbacious plants that we find nowhere else, and are probably varieties that are lost to cultivation.(the place is something of an ark of the 19th century horticulture of our area.) one example is a german iris of unusual purple coloring that blooms as early as march and is impervious to weather and very floriferous.

more to come, if anyone is interested.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions