SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Garden Chairs Built By My Dad...Restored By His Son

kirkus
16 years ago

Last month, I visited the home in which I was raised. One of my older brothers lives in the house now but is so busy with his job and commitments that the house and yard has been neglected. In the backyard, I found a debris pile, and in this pile were a pair of garden chairs my late father had built in 1970. (Dad had copied the pattern from a broken down set his brother had.) Well, the chairs I found were nothing like I remembered. They were broken in places and weathered beyond recognition. I asked my brother if I could have them. He said, "Yes!"

Well, I spent the last month, repairing the chairs and replacing broken pieces of wood and all of the nuts, bolts, and screws. My wife was worried I had undertaken too big of a project. Looking at an old picture, I found a similar colored stain to stain the chairs. In his storage shed, my brother found a set of like new cushions my parents had bought for the chairs in the 80's, giving them to me as well. I finished the chairs this week!

Oh, the memories I have, sitting in our backyard in those chairs, pondering life, reading a good book, or enjoying family times. My parents are gone as well as Dad's beautiful gardens but I HAVE THE CHAIRS MADE BY MY DAD AS MEMORIES!

Here are the chairs in my parents' backyard in 1970. Dad was quite the gardener and junker. Check out the grape arbor. He made that from recycled, metal poles and covered the top with chicken wire. Maybe that's where I get my resourcefulness!
{{gwi:140780}}

This is Dad in his later years, standing in front of one of his many gardens.

{{gwi:140781}}

And finally... DRUM ROLL... Here are the finished chairs. I took one picture without the cushion so people could see the chair underneath. Wish I had taken a before picture! I was too excited to get to work on them!

{{gwi:140782}}

{{gwi:140783}}

I think of my restored chairs as a Father's Day gift to Dad! It was such a joy last night to see my family sitting in them! Thanks for listening to my LOOOONG story! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Comments (40)