SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeedeedee

Low Ground Restoration Ideas PLEASE!

chickadeedeedee
20 years ago

Hi.

I have posed this problem elsewhere with no answer. If this is the wrong forum for this please guide my muddy issue where it should be. Thanks.

Problem: An irregularly bordered area about 30 ft. by 10-20 ft. nestled between a small grove of crabapples, lilac, mimosa and a Russian Olive Tree. All trees are between 40 to 55 years old. This is my home; the home I was born in 45 years ago. Slowly I am trying to restore / improve some issues with the yard.

The granite patio slopes from the house and the runoff goes to this low ground site. The entire backyard also slopes toward this area. The backyard is 150 ft. long x 175 ft. wide.

With melting snow (we got 8 inches yesterday) and rain, all this pools at this site. It is the lowest area of the yard. There were undergroung drainage lines installed about 15 years ago to manage other low areas of the yard, however this particular site is lower than the others.

I was told the site is so low that it would not allow for a drain system without extensive deeeeeeep digging through an already nicely planted area and the tree roots would be endangered. The water gathers in this area and both dogs are drawn to it like fuzzy magnets.

They have the whole yard to do whatever it is that dogs do when they go outside but no...they must slosh through the water and mud. They then bring their muddy feet and muddy dog bellies into the house and on the beds if we miss cleaning them off with towels as they come back in.

Do I make the area into a rain garden or bog garden? The dogs are very good about not walking through plants and beds.

I thought to lay landscape fabric down and atop put a generous layer of small to medium river pebbles. Within this perhaps to lay some slabs or pavers and make a seating area with some boggy type plants there as well. Perhaps a kind of path extending from the patio to the seating area?

I thought this would allow the water to continue to do what it will do anyway but protect the dogs as well as the furniture from the soggy muddy mess. However I am torn between the stones and a bog garden.

I don't want to build up the area with soil because I fear the water will just pool somewhere else. The trees in the area have adapted to their moist conditions and I fear plants in another area wouldn't adjust well.

Which do you think would be better? Getting rid of the dogs is NOT an option. Thanks for your help!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions