SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trailer_gal

starting apple tree from cuttings

trailer_gal
18 years ago

Could anyone give me instructions as to how to start an apple tree from cuttings. I took cuttings from the old apple tree and dipped them in rooting hormone and put them in a homemade bog I had made out of spagnum moss, peat moss, soil, sand and manure. Do you think I have a chance? I cut some on the diagnal and some cut off some of the bark about one inch high and about 1/4 way around. Am I supposed to cut through the cambium? I would appreciate any advice. Hope you don't tell me that it is a lost cause. Still working with that 100 year old, blown down apple tree. It made it through the summer and still looks pretty good and has lots of apples on it, although they do look a bit smaller than usual.

I had tryed airlayering. When I went back two of the branches had died and two were still alive so there is hope there. Am thinking of trying to send some off to a nursery when the right time is here to have some grafted.

Also, could a person buy small apple trees at a nursery, plant and graft to them?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!