SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

Nebel's Rainbow II: My Ugly Duckling Becomes a Swan

sflgplume
12 years ago

Hey there all,

I'm sorry for another long post--hope you find my tale entertaining/worth reading!

Dave in VA, your Nebel's Rainbow photo is stunning (as are the others btw). It made me remember why I chose this variety as one of my very first trees last year about this time when I made a drive down to Florida Colors. What a fabulous flower.

Early this past spring, my NR showed normal indications of coming out of dormancy, but then, just as claws began to form on its single tip, this newbie watched in horror as it proceeded to turn black. Black tip! What a Debbie Downer!

In a fit of newbie neuroticism I got out my sterilized knife and sliced that tip back 'til I saw only white. LOL that was hard to do!, especially because I knew that even if the tree lived, there was pretty much no way I'd get flowers this year, now that I'd hacked it.

Eventually the leaf scars began to swell and it seemed the plant would make it...but I found myself almost wishing it had died, as each of its attempts at new growth also turned black and became leafless green nubs. Finally, on its fourth attempt, a growth tip successfully emerged, protruding out from the side of the sliced-off top of the trunk and curving up. All season, I've let out a Homer Simpson *cringe* whenever I've looked at it. It's like the Frankenstein of Plumeria:

And for good measure, here's a close-up of that c.f. (the only words for it!):

LOL it's HIDEOUS, right?!?

But anyway, a few days ago I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at the tip and saw this:

woo-HOO!! Nebel's Rainbow flowers are in my near future! If they look anything close to Dave's, I'll be very proud. And next spring, I will have a 20-or-so-inch, multi-tip NR cutting to root :)

Greg

Comments (16)