SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pufftrinket

I just wanna sell some plants! (&seeds, &stuff)

pufftrinket
16 years ago

OK, I have read, and am continuing to read the FAQ and searches on starting a nursery business.

My ulterior motive is to get people hooked on native plants. I'm not limiting myself to them, though- I love marigolds, for example, and have lots of all kinds of open-pollinated seeds which native plant purists would notbe satisfied with, becuase I cna exactly determine the species. I figure when they discover how easy these plants are, they will grow more of them themselves. So, my mission is to get healthy native plants (especially caterpillar host plants for LOCAL butterflies) into as many gardens as possible throughout my area.

I don't think I want to make a big profit. In fact, I really don't want to worry about that at first. I don't want to compete with my local greenhouse and garden friends who run businesses. But I do want a wider audience.

I'm thinking- Hey, I have all these extra plants, can I sell them fro my yard? Can I go to a farmer's market? Can I take my truck somewhere and just set up shop? How about a website? Does that mean mail order?

It all sounds so complicated. I'm not in it for money- at least not yet. I'm human, so greed will probably kick in sometime.

So where do I start? Is a master gardener class really the way to go? Joining native plant societies? Could some of you give me some advice to help me keep it simple and do the right thing?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored