SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
technologygarden

Cloning Plants and DNA breakdown?

technologygarden
15 years ago

Hi All, This spring I started cloning some of my heirloom tomato plants to give to friends and family and will also be cloning my plants near the end of the outdoor season so I can start a new crop indoors in my aerospring aeroponic units. I built my own aeroponic cloning machine from a rubbermaid container and have high hopes to continue to clone over and over again so I never have to start from seeds again.

here is my question for the cloning experts:

How solid/intact the DNA of the clones will be down the line??? In animals, the DNA tends to get brittle and break and repair as it is carried through a single generation....Since Im using the same DNA in the clone and it appears that the process can repeat itself over and over....that is if the plant DNA does not act like it does in animals and mimic the failures due to aging of the line

Have there been any studies on this or does anyone here have any ideas on this issue? Thanks for any help and if you want to see any of my pics or howto's on building your own cloning machine, check out my profile, the link to my website is in there

-Eric

Technology Garden

Comments (5)