SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Like tomatoes, can you plant part of pepper stems under ground?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

I just bought 2, 75 cent apiece green bell pepper plants that are about 6" tall. They were on clearance at the local grocery store, so I bought them. But they have bent stems at the bottoms of the plants. One has its bottom 1.5" coming out of the ground at a diagonal bent angle, then it straightens out, the other plant has its bottom 2.5" bent, then it straightens out.

Other than that, the plants are thick, have dark green leaves, and look healthy. However, I planted them in 12" diameter pots today in a mix of new peat moss and 20% aged mushroom compost mix, and I buried the bent areas of the bottom of the stems, I watered them, then I put them in the open sun, and 3 hours later the leaves are wilting to the ground. So I unburied the bent areas of the stems for the time being, but I dont know if thats what is causing them to wilt, or if its just that they have not been in open sun for a while, and the heat and sun are causing them to wilt...

I planted another one of these same peppers about 3 days ago in a pot in the same soil, and it has not wilted, but the stem was straight, so I didnt have to bury part of it....

What do you think? Can the bottoms of the stems be buried?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting