SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
root_gw

am I killing my cuttings?

18 years ago

Never tried to propagate anything before until a friend gave me a couple of cutting from his butterfly bushes. I used a rooting hormone and stuck them in 4" pots filled with potting soil. I have two seperate groups. The majority of them are in an old 55 gal aquarium with the lights on 24hr a day and about 1/4" of water in the bottom of the tank. I also have a couple sitting in the kitchen on saucers that I keep a little water in(no direct sunlight). I noticed some mold on the soil of the pots in the kitchen along with some brown spots on the leaves of the cuttings. The ones in the aquarium looked ok but possibly begining to do the same. Obviously to much water not enough light in the kitchen.

My question is should I pull the cuttings out and add a little vermiculite to the potting soil to help with the mold or should I just adjust my watering habits to account for the fact that the potting soil really soaks up and holds water? The cuttings I'm guessing have started to take root because I can see what I believe is the begining of new leaves forming. Mold and brown spot is only affecting maybe 20% of the cuttings. I took a nail and poked holes in the soil around the cuttings to try and improve oxygen for the roots and obviously none of them are sitting in water at the moment, I'm just not sure if this is enough or if it would cause more damage to pull the cutting out once roots have begun to form. The cuttings have only been potted for 2 weeks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus