SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_inmo

Growers, how do you harden off in a greenhouse?

ellen_inmo
19 years ago

I worked in a greenhouse for a short time, but not long enough to learn everything. Since then, I have been growing on my own, in my home, with grow lights. And every year, I spend two to three weeks aclimating my plants to the outside conditions before I will dare put them in the ground.

I've been hardening off for at least two weeks now. And every single day, I go past the nursery in town, and they dont have a single plant outside. All their plants are inside the greenhouses, for sale. I just have to wonder, are those plants folks are buying hardened off, and if they are, how do you do it without ever leaving the greenhouse???? Is there a way to do this? I guess I am envisioning dropping the day and night temps in the greenhouses. But what about aclimating to the sunlight? I find this to be the most important part of hardening off, and I am quite meticulous about it. Already this year, the tops of my Millets were sunburned, and I thought I was being careful.

I cant recall ever buying plants that were bought in a greenhouse,and them dieing right away.

Will you share with me how this is done?

Comments (3)

Sponsored