SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rick_in_va

Stinkbugs - Please Don't Use Toxic Spray

rick_in_va
12 years ago

I am alarmed to see postings on this forum, other forums, and other gardening websites promoting the use of Ortho Flower Fruit and Vegetable spray to kill stinkbugs. Here's why:

This product basically contains Acetamiprid, a type of neonicotinoid neurotoxin. This chemical is toxic to humans, just not as toxic as it is to insects. It is NOT on the approved list for organic gardening (several other insecticides are approved - see below). It accumulates in your liver.

Neonicotinoid insecticides have been widely banned in Europe (Germany, France and Italy for example).

This product is a systemic insecticide. It is absorbed into the capillary system of the plant - you can't get rid of it by washing, peeling, etc.

This product is extremely toxic to bees and other beneficial insects. Research has shown that it causes Colony Collapse Disorder, wiping out the entire beehive.

Chiliheads do our thing for many reasons. A lot of the veterans on this forum are devoted to maintaining the biodiversity of the chili species and resisting the seed companies drive toward all hybrid (and patented) crops. I raise them also as a food crop and to sell at the farmer's market here. And because I want organic produce without having to spend my "Whole Paycheck".

Stinkbugs - I hate 'em. I have declared war on them. But I'm not going to use toxic sprays. There are many alternatives that work pretty well. I will discuss this in a separate posting on this forum. Besides, the reports here in central VA are that they are far less prevalent this year than last, maybe a fourth to a tenth as prevalent. I think all the hype about how bad they were going to be this year was all about selling chemicals. They even got "temporary" approval to use chemical sprays on orchards this year that are usually prohibited. $$$ And we know what "temporary" means in govt parlance - it means you got your foot in the door.

Happy gardening!

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: What's wrong with neonicotinoids

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County