SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Peppers on some, not even blossoms on others!

2ajsmama
12 years ago

I'm wondering what's going on with my peppers. I have over 50 peppers (lost count, just kept planting as people gave me more starts). Mostly hot peppers, though some bells too. Some of the smallest ones (just took out of flats, terrible yellow leaves, potbound, got free at Agway) have peppers and/or buds (of course I took them off when repotted). Some of the older ones also have peppers - esp. a couple that are supposedly Numex Sunrise, a couple of cayennes, and a serrano my cousin gave me he started in March (they've been out in my garden since mid-June). The hot Portugals I didn't even think would make it that I put in 1-gal pots on my porch are over 2ft tall and have pretty big peppers on them, as well as 2 out of 3 Hinkelhatz and 1 of 2 Thai (the other Thai and HH have flowers).

The Thai in the garden are small but have blossoms. The HH in the garden are big and bushy but no blossoms. Most of the serranos, cherry bombs (though those were planted out late - look much better than when they were in 4" pots at my uncle's), and pretty much all of the bell peppers have no flowers at all, though the serrano and bells are getting big and look healthy. I do have 3 peppers on a Chablis bell.

So is my garden soil too high in N for these to produce flowers? It didn't test extremely high, the tomatoes there are producing well (Glacier, 1 plum and 1 I think is a German Johnson or Brandywine that got mixed in with the Glaciers), the lettuce grew great til it bolted and the cukes and squash I didn't plant til late June are starting to flower. It's just the peppers (some of which were the first things to get planted out there) that haven't blossomed.

They did seem to take a while to get started (I noticed that the ones on the porch, and even 1 sweet banana I pulled and replaced, but put the old one back in a pot) seemed to do better with just afternoon sun. So it could have been too hot for them beginning of July (or too wet the end of June). But as I said the plants are getting big and look nice now, just no flowers.

Any ideas?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio