SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artful_gardener

To sub, or not to sub

Artful_Gardener
19 years ago

I have a 3 yr old Landscape Design and Installation company. Each winter I try to figure out how to reduce headaches and increase profits. Getting the business started from scratch has been a challenge, and not especially profitable, but I do love many aspects of it and my customers seem to love my work.

With a $300K annual volume and average annual growth of 29%, I've found I'm not able to effectively handle all the sales/design/bidding/mgmt/field supervision aspects. My strongest skills are in design, sales and customer interaction, and I'm trying to figure out how to do more of that, plus have a little time to write a newspaper column and do some teaching. And make more money this year!

Employees and keeping labor costs in line are always my biggest challenges, and the source of lots of my headaches, even when they're good. I feel to keep growing I would need a top notch foreman or ops mgr to handle most of the field aspects so I can do more of what I do best. Of course they're hard to find, plus that would really increase my costs.

My alternative is doing away with all employees, and using a sub to handle all the installations, which would make my life easier. I just don't see how I can make much more than 5% on my projects this way, and I'll likely be spending nearly as much time in the field, so I'm not sure this is a viable option. Any recommendations you can make would be appreciated!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner