SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_z6

Dilemma: Pennisetum Little Bunny or Hamln

16 years ago

I am planning on a mass planting of a dwarf grass to go in a large area that already is planted with a drift of liriope and a drift of daylillies. this is for a riverside estate with fertile, moist soil on the sandy side. Even a medium height grass would look wrong in this location, but a mass planting of a smaller grass will have a stunning effect. I would prefer a grass that gets no higher than 18", and after much deliberation decided on Pennisetum Little Bunny. I got a call yesterday from the place I ordered the liners from, and they said they'd sold out before they'd processed my order. So now that I have to reorder, I'm second guessing my decision. I've never done a mass planting of Little Bunny and am worried that it will just look like hair plugs, even after the first two years. I'm considering Hamln instead but am worried that in these ideal conditions it will grow to 2' or more.

It is just stupid to keep second guessing myself, but now that I'm there my thought process just runs around in circles. Any opinions on which one I should choose, or suggestions for other grasses (zone 7b, must have fountain effect).

Comments (5)

• 16 years ago

If you want the smaller of the two I would go with the 'Little Bunny'. Hameln is bigger, normally 2-3 ft. tall and 1-2 ft. wide. But I can understand what you mean about them looking like hair plugs...but won't they both look like that?

• 16 years ago

Thanks, Sarah. Once they grow into each other they won't look like hair plugs - as long as the blades overlap.

• 16 years ago

Seems like these would develop pretty fast.

• 16 years ago

'Little Bunny' does really well for us here in 7b NC...I don't think it will look like hairplugs, but if I were worried about getting it to fill in quickly, I'd just plant a little closer together.

If you are really freaking out, and color isn't an issue...I'd suggest taking a look at Festuca glauca 'Elijah Blue'. It stays 12" or less here...usually closer to 8". Nice mounding habit--works well in mass plantings...but I think 'Little Bunny' will do what you want it to.

• 16 years ago

Thanks for the reassurance, mjsee. I do love Elijah Blue and use it a lot, but it just wouldn't fit into this particular landscape. Plus it's a little 'stiff' - I definitely want the lovely movement that happens when wind hits ornamental grass. If I could have a favourite sound, that would be it.

Sponsored