SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Are you going to change anything next year?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

After the first year of my kitchen garden/potager, I have some things that worked, some things that did not, and a few ideas for next year. What was successful in your garden? What was not successful? What will you do differently next year?

For me, I love the overall layout, but I need to edge the beds. I will probably use perennials on the outer beds and annuals on the inside. I'm still moving some plants around, but some may have to wait for spring.

Morning glories were a failure, but clematis might turn out to be a much better choice for the arbor. I like the roses, but had to move some against the arbor and surround them with herbs, to keep the deer away. One surprise...the deer ate my forsythia, so those are going in another part of the yard.

Next year, I hope to have more vegetables, since I'll be able to plant earlier in the spring. This year, the garden wasn't in until late June. Still debating on the second vegetable garden. While I like the space, it would also make a wonderful fragrance garden. My nephew might end up having his own space in the kitchen garden and "auntie" may end up with a romantic fragrance garden with DH. Not a bad idea :)

So, what about you?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!