SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girg

Any method for promoting low branching in tree?

girg
14 years ago

Does anyone know if there's a way to promote low branch growth in an eight-year-old Chinese Pistache tree, such as by pruning or grafting techniques, or using fertilizers or hormones, or a combination of these or other methods? I would like to produce branches approximately 5 - 6 feet from the ground. The tree is currently about 13 feet tall with an approximately 9-foot wide canopy and a 10" trunk caliper.

I had branches at the 5 - 6 foot height until recently. My gardener apparently thought he would do me a favor and cut several low branches from my Chinese Pistache tree. He cut the branches all the way to the tree trunk. Now, the first branches start at about 7 feet from the ground.

I really wanted the lower branches as they filled out the profile of the tree. Taking them off destroys the aesthetics of the tree and the tree now looks odd in the overall landscaping. I want to explore any possibility of producing branches at the level of those removed by my gardener.

It probably makes sense to do whatever I can while the tree is still dormant. If I need to do some extreme pruning, I'd like to do it early. I live in Sacramento, CA and the tree is already beginning to bud.

I appreciate any information anyone can share with me.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH