SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Help me resuscitate a sickly hot pepper start

plantslayer
14 years ago

Hello,

Today I bought a sickly looking "Bulgarian Carrot" hot pepper start on sale (all the vegetable starts being more or less in horrible shape and on layaway this late in the season). It is a leggy plant that has been in a 4-inch nursery pot for most of it's sad life. All of its foliage is very yellow; the branches on the bottom 2/3rds of the plant have been pruned off, and there are not a whole lot of leaves near the top. It has four or five green fruit around 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch long, and several flowers, some of which fell off easily when I barely touched them. The stem is pretty dry and rubbery.

Normally I grow stuff from seed and take good care of it before transplanting, so I am not sure how to handle this abused specimine. I'd like to transplant the poor thing into a 3-gal container or maybe something bigger. From what I have read here, pepper plants often do not form new roots along the stem, but planting deep doesn't hurt them, so is it correct that I should bury a large part of the leggy stem? Is there anything else I can do to help it out (remove fruit + flowers, give it a WoW, etc.)?

I don't expect the plant to do exceptionally well, but I want to see if I can get it to recover and produce just a few ripe chilis before the end of September (which is when it generally stats to be too cold for these things to keep going).

Thanks for the expertise!

Comment (1)

Sponsored