SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trei_gw

Large Cuttings - How to root? HELP!!

trei
17 years ago

Hi everyone!

First off, I'm new to the Plumeria Forum and to growing plumerias in general so PLEASE forgive me if I ask a stupid question. I realize that this topic may have been covered a million times before but I'm still a bit lost and uncertain. I've also looked through past postings and also on http://www.plumeria101.com today for references as well.

This past Sunday, I was visiting my aunt who lives in southern California where it's quite warm/hot (day = 80-90+ degrees). She gave me 3 fresh cuttings. Dipped them in rooting hormones and threw them all in a garbage bag. I drove back home with it in the hot weather for 6hrs back home to northern California. The weather here in my zone has been unpredictable but lately somewhat warm, occasional hot (65-80/90degrees)

That night when I arrived home, they didnÂt look too good. Although, I had the AC running in the car, the cuttings may have suffocated in the bag. Leaves were wilted and yellowing. Cuttings looked wrinkle and slightly approaching softness. HELP!!

Cutting # 1: About 3 feet long with 3 long branches (6-8" ). Tons of leaves and each tip was about to flower as there are tons of buds on them. I feel so guilty for not letting them bloom first before the cutting but my aunt decided she needed to trim back the tree. Cutting looks dry, and hard still.

Cutting # 2 & 3: About 2 feet tall with 2-3 branches (4-6"). Tons of leaves as well which are now droopy, yellow and wilted. Cuttings look green, wrinkling and approaching softness near the mid section.

Monday night, I panicked and stuck them into loose potting soil with a tad of water which I realize now is completely the wrong thing to do!!

My questionsÂ

1. Should I cut off all the leaves or just leave them on until they drop by themselves?

2. What should I do with Cutting # 1 with the buds? Will they bloom or done for? Should I cut off the buds so cutting can reserve energy to root?

3. Are these cuttings too big to root (2-3 feet tall)? Should I cut them down shorter into multiples?

4. Should the base of the cutting be a clean 45 degree angle? Mine are angled but not that clean cut.

5. I know NOW that I must leave them out 4-5 days to callous so I will take them out of the soil when I get home. What does the callous-state look like---Does that mean that itÂs typical to expect my cuttings to wrinkle, shrink and turn from green to white? Do I just leave them in the sun to dry?

Sorry for the many questions. IÂm so desperate and hate to kill and waste these poor cuttings. Thank you in advance!!!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH