SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Frangipanis in cold areas

Hello there, I am new to this forum and live in a chilly Moorlands area of the Midlands here in the UK and thought you may like to read of my experience in growing some frangipani cuttings in a cold climate. I was given 6 cuttings whilst in Western Australia in spring of 2005 and have managed to get one to grow. They were around 6 inches long and I left them to dry for a week or so and potted them individually in very sharp gritty compost, and placed them in my greenhouse which at the time was being heated to 40degrees to keep out the frosts. However, all but one rotted away and it eventually grew several tiny sets of leaves which promptly dropped off. However, this spring when it started to grow some more, I placed a cut off plastic lemonade bottle over it and it grew at an amazing rate. It now has 10 leaves the biggest being some 7 inches long and in the centre of them is a little Âcrown surrounded by more baby leaves which I think, and hope, are immature flower buds. Is it usual for frangipani to flower at such a small size? Has anyone out there any tips on how to care for them in a cold area like I live in? Any other help would be appreciated.

Comments (3)