SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Any final thoughts on fencing?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I'm going to buy fencing materials this weekend, so if anyone has any final thoughts or ideas, I'd appreciate it. While enclosing the garden is partly ornamental, I also hope to discourage the few deer we have from walking into the vegetables.

I'm thinking of using a 3' wire mesh fence (2" x4") with a couple of wires above. The green metal fence posts will probably be about 4 1/2' tall, with one gate under a black metal arbor and a larger gate for the lawn mower...still deciding on materials for these. I might get a black metal gate from Lowe's for the arch (mom has this and it looks nice) but for the bigger gate, still thinking.

While the fence is fairly utilitarian, I'm hoping to surround the garden with both edible and non-edible shrubs and flowers to attract beneficials insects. Blueberries, spirea, forsythia, butterfly bush, with perennial flowers and some bulbs and lots of annuals to fill in until the shrubs mature. I have purple raspberries in the garden area, but I'm hesitant to put red raspberries along the border. They'd be great, until they spread into the rest of the beds.

Also using the lilacs as a hedge between the garden and the road, but will be able to mow around these, to keep down the suckers. Might have to do something like this with the red raspberries, too :)

We don't have rabbits or trouble with other smaller animals, since we have a lot of barn kitties, but smaller mesh fencing is supposed to work well. I often see pictures of split rail fences with wire mesh enclosing a potager. Pretty and very rustic, but I'm too lazy to dig post holes, so metal posts for me. (LOL) They go better with the metal posts used for the horse fence, too.

Comments (10)

Sponsored