SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Dreaming of future gardens...

peachymomo
11 years ago

While dealing with the realities of my current garden I've been fantasizing about the dream potager I would like to create in the future.

I see a south facing wall built of native stone with fruit trees that need extra heat/protection espaliered against it to define the northern border and a path lined with hardier fruit trees circling around to encompass the inner potager garden. Entrances would be through grape covered arbors, and there would be a larger kiwi pergola to create a shady area for resting. Raised beds for annuals, perennials, and blueberries would be arranged in an as-yet-undecided pattern around a central fountain and sitting area.

The thing I'm having trouble with is choosing materials, do you think brick paths and brick beds would be too much? If so, would it be better to have brick beds and gravel paths, or stone beds and brick paths? Redwood beds are nice but they do rot eventually, and I would like both the permanence and heat retentive qualities that stone and brick provide.

Do you dream of a totally new garden some day, or are you happy to tinker with what you have? It seems like I'm always facing limited space or sunlight so I just do the best I can with what I have. For years I have been working to accrue good 'garden karma' in the hopes that one day I will get a piece of land where I can create my dream garden.

My dream list also includes my own astronomical calendar garden made with sturdy wood posts that have climbing roses planted on them, I will call it Rose Henge. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Comments (6)

Sponsored