SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Blossom Drop? Or am I just a little too anxious??

Well, I have great looking plants putting out a lot of blooms but no pods are developing. I know there are tons of threads regarding blossom drop and i have scoured most of them. Still, I am unsure of the reason for my problems. Actually, I am not seeing the blossoms drop as much as just browning up and withering after a few days. Weather here has been horrendous too. A week and a half ago, we had a freeze warning. Then less than a week later, we hit 90 degrees. Tomorrow another 90 degree day. And on top of this for the last 4 or 5 days, almost constant 20 mph plus winds. The plants are taking the wind in stride but they are just not producing. Two days ago, I watered them with MG general purpose fertilizer. It is relatively high in Nitrogen so I thought that could be part of the issue however, from the time I stopped snipping buds a week and a half ago I had no fruit and had not added any of the MG fert up to that point. I also rewatered today to try to flush the MG fert out. I have tried to help the pollination by shaking the blooms and branches but the last several days, that seemed pretty redundant with all the wind. Of the major factors: 1) too much nitrogen 2) Wind and temp extremes 3) lack of insects and natural pollination vectors, I am thinking #2 is the main culprit. I just figured I would get a few pods anyway with all the blooms. Some of my plants have two or three dozen at any one time and have had for more than a week now. Up until the time I got them into their summer containers, I had been snipping buds and blooms and even several small pods that I missed. I even had a few pods when they were strictly under grow lights in the house. Now that I finally got them out in the wild, I can't even get one. I am so frustrated.

Another issue is that the blooms on my Habanero and my Bhuts don't seem to be as big and bright white as the other varieties. Is that normal? Other than a Cayenne and a Habanero last year, this is my first year of growing Peppers.

Here are some pictures to show what I mean. The first two photos show how the blooms just brown up and die off but are not necessarily falling off prematurely.

{{gwi:1183511}}

{{gwi:1183512}}

Now this photo is of one of my Bhut Jolokias that shows that I have plenty of blooms and new buds, but they just don't seem to be setting fruit.

{{gwi:1183513}}

I take it back, I do have a new pod. I found it while taking the photos. I is my first of the year and gladly it is one of my Bhut Jolokia's. I am feeling better now and I hope this becomes a trend.

{{gwi:1183514}}

Oh, one more question, it seems like all my blooms, on all varieties of my peppers seem to point downward. Is that normal? The open blooms all seem to be facing straight down.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm