SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Where do you put flowers in your potager?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Where do you plant flowers in your potager? Do you put them in a separate area or mix them in with the vegetables? Do you have a lot of flowers or just a few? Are they perennials, annuals or both? Do you have any roses?

I had roses, but I'm moving them all into other areas, due to the deer. However, I do have perennials on the outside beds, so I put perennial flowers in with the blueberry bushes, raspberries, strawberries and herbs. I might add some asparagus this year, too. For flowers, I have coneflowers, daisies, clematis, phlox, pincushion flowers, bee balm, and I add a few annuals for extra color.

In the front beds and middle beds, I have annual vegetables and herbs, with annual flowers all mixed together, for color, to shade the weeds...and keep the deer out of my veggies. I use a lot of alyssum, to keep down the weeds and keep the ground shaded, which means less watering. I also love zinnias, marigolds, nasturtiums, stock, evening stock, sunflowers, snapdragons and cosmos.

On the arches I have clematis and sweet peas, except in the front, where I'm using climbing beans...with purple flowers. The arbor has clematis too, but I'm not sure what I want to put in the beds, since I moved the roses. More space :)

What about your garden?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor