SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

how big should my beds and rows be?

gottagarden
18 years ago

I posted this on the vegetable forum because they seem to have a lot of traffic. But I also wanted to hear from potagers as to the aesthetics of bed spacing. Which do you think would look better from a potager point of view?

I'm an experienced flower gardener, but I'm not as knowledgeable with vegetables. After years of sneaking tomatoes and peppers in between my flowers, I'm making a new separate vegetable bed. Given my dimensions, I can do several rows. For those of you with experience, which do you think would be better:

6 foot beds and 3 foot paths?

4 foot beds and 2 foot paths?

I thought that maybe 4 foot beds would allow me better access from both sides without having to step in the bed and compact the soil.

But maybe 6 foot beds would give me a more lush look, more room to sprawl and I could sneak more flowers in there.

I plan on growing tomatoes, beans, peppers, cucumbers, lettuces, etc. I want to lay it out just once, then rotate the crops every year, so the beds need to be general purpose.

I'd like to hear from those with experience whether 4 foot or 6 foot widths are better? Did you ever wish your beds were just a bit wider? Did you ever think your beds were too wide and you couldnt get in the middle well?

I'd love to hear what you experts have to say. Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

Sponsored