SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaaryn_gw

tips on starting a new wildflower meadow?

kaaryn
17 years ago

I'm planning to plant a wildflower meadow over my septic bed. I figure I'll loosely enclose it, but I'm not really concerned about creeping. I actually WANT this to take over most of my yard. Later when there's more $$ to invest, I'll put in a sunken edging all around but for now I'm thinking of timbers or narrow logs. More of a visual barrier than a really productive one. I do need to maintain a strip of grass all around that's wide enough for a mower, but that's about it.

I am thinking to build a slightly raised area over my septic bed (I'm waiting for an okay from my service man). The sod is thin over it so it shouldn't be a problem to add a few inches of topsoil.

For plants, I thought I would start by getting some seeds for fast-growing grasses and perennials, plus a few cans of wildflower mix. See what comes up from those, and then work on filling it in as the summer progresses.

The thing is, because of the location I can't plant things that need a lot of watering. Keeping it damp for germination should be okay, but nothing that needs a regular soaking. And they can't be deep-rooted plants, because of the risk of clogging the drains.

I can't remove the sod because it would expose the septic bed more, but I suppose I can probably kill it off with repeated light applications of Roundup. It's as much weed and some kind of creeping groundcover as it is grass, it's all just pretty bumpy and ugly at this point.

I'm developing a list of things that would be okay to plant, but I'm looking for tips and suggestions on how to get it started, preferably quickly. :)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting