SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sprangtyme

Flowers but no fruit, what conditions do i need for my habanero?

sprangtyme
16 years ago

I live in an appartment and my patio is covered. There is a screen to keep bugs out, which also limits the amount of direct sunlight. Due to the angle of my building and cover of my patio, the sun get to the plants around 3:00 p.m. The temperature during the day is in the 90's and the heat index throws it up into the 100's. At night it is in the 70's-ish.

MY habanero plant has little white flowers, they open up and i try to self pollinate them incase enough bugs don't get thru the screen to do it. But the stems turn yellow and they fall off. None of them have had any fruit yet. It is still a relatively small plant, i brought it at Wal-Mart about a month ago and it is maybe 10-12 inches tall. The flowers are alos relatvely new and just started flowering about a week ago. BUT since i have never grown a plant before, i don't know if it is normal and the first flowers are just for looks, or how this works.

Will getting limited amounts of sun a day hurt the plant? Or will that benefit? Do plants need direct sunlight to grow, or does indirect sunlight also help the plant? And finally, why will my flowers not turn into fruit and will it flower thruout the year.

i know it's a lot of newbie stuff, but any help would be appreciated

Comment (1)

Sponsored