SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhaine86

What to do with a steep slope??

rhaine86
19 years ago

Hi everyone! I originally posted this message in the New Gardener forum and someone suggested I ask you all in this forum for advice. :)

Hello- I'm new to this site but I'm hoping this is the appropriate area to seek help!

I have a beautiful (mostly) landscaped yard, thanks to the previous owner who had a professional come in. The only downside is that in the backyard, the nice flat grassy area leads to a wide slope that runs back and up to the fenceline. It is approximately 100ft long (along the back fence), the rise is about 12ft (at the highest part) and the run is about 20ft. It is also steeper on one side than the other. I would guess at the steepest it's about 45 degrees. So far, my husband and I have done nothing with the area. In the summer grows grass, weeds, etc, which we keep cut low. We thought about just covering the area (at least temporarily) with a wildflower seed and just seeing what came up, but I think that the weeds would start growing first and overpower them. I've used Roundup in the area several times but it's such a large area that I just can't kill everything with my hand sprayer! Ideally, we would love to have a landscaper come out and help us terrace the area; we want to put some steps in and just make it a "natural" flower garden, but we are very limited with our finances at this point and are looking for alternatives to continuing the trend of weeds and grasses year after year. Are we doomed to this??? I'm afraid that I'll need to rent large equipment or something to rid myself of the grasses/sticks/weeds before I can do anything. Am I right??? Any thoughts, suggestions, whatever you have are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio