SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyo_gw

5784 GDD. What does this really mean?

bradleyo_gw
17 years ago

A while back, someone on either this board or another posted a Growing Degree Day calendar...Thank you for that. I was surprised that my suburban Pittsburgh location recorded 5700+ GDD which far exceeds what I expected as well as all of the palms listed, Needles (2800 GDD), Minors (2900 GDD), Trachys (3600 GDD), as well as Chamerops, S. repens, B. capitata, and W. filifera.

What does this mean?

Do i have a reaonable chance of growing these palms with adequate protection below 15F? I wouldn't expect to be able to grow anything but the first three with protection. Is there a chance I may be able to grow up to 11 different types of palms with adequate protection in Pittsburgh? If so, what exactly would I need to protect say a Washy or a Butia? I know Jay in Iowa has sucessfully overwintered a robusta, what materials are you using Jay?...or Kiril?

Despite being classified as a zone 6a, in checking with historical data, the all-time low here is -19F, the next lowest is -8F. Since I've been here for more than 5 years, the lowest it has gotten is -3F. We flirt with near zero each year. And it can stay below 30 for days on end.

Should I be more ambitious?

Brad

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert