SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buck1173

Unhappy jalapeno & mystery hot pepper plant.... pix....

buck1173
15 years ago

Hi all, was hoping someone here has some advice for me.... I picked up some hot pepper plants at the local lowes about a month ago and stuck them in the ground.

6 of the 8 plants are coming along, but 2 are really not looking happy.

One is called "jalapeno" the other is "ornamental hot pepper" - I have no clue what it is.

this is my first time growing peppers of anykind, and I'm clueless.

Both ailing plants have the heaviest set of flowers. They both are tending however, to allow the entire flower stalk-thingie flower, drop the flower then die off. The whole stalk dies right to the branch.

These plants are only about 13" tall, the ornamental is barely 8" tall.

The both have the yellowest leaves, both are very droopy, and both have weird purply brown stripey or striations along the main stem and branches.

the healthy hot pepper plants are greening up nicely and are perky, but have far less flowers. However, the healthy ones's flowers are fruiting, not dying off.

Anyone have any thoughts? We did have heavy rain 2-3 weeks ago, and the plants really were saturated for a long while. Not swimming, but i didn't have to water even in this heat wave on the East coast. The ground is still really moist after 3 weeks.

Would love any advice! Thank you!

this is the plant marked "jalapeno"

{{gwi:1178829}}

{{gwi:1178830}}

{{gwi:1178831}}

And this is the mystery 'ornamental hot pepper"

if anyone can ID this plant I'd be very thankful

{{gwi:1178832}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored