SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcheckers

Mystery Pepper... Cayenne/Jalapeno Cross?

13 years ago

I know I could post this question in the Hot Peppers Forum but I figure I'll get as good as or better an answer and advice from my friends here in the Oklahoma Forum.

This pepper plant grew from cayenne pepper seeds I saved last year. Last year I only grew cayenne and jalapeno peppers, both bought as plants at a local greenhouse.

{{gwi:2100854}}

{{gwi:2100855}}

Here's it's neighbor, a true red cayenne.

{{gwi:2100856}}

As you can see by comparing photos, the mystery pepper has a similar crescent curve like the cayenne but isn't wrinkled like a cayenne and also has more of a blunt end as opposed to a pointed end like the cayenne. Also notice the difference in the shape and size of the leaves of each plant.

This photo shows the "purplish" crotch where the leaves grow from the stem, much like a Jalapeno.

{{gwi:2100857}}

Finally this photo shows Cayenne, Mystery and Jalapeno peppers along with cross sections on a paper plate.

{{gwi:2100858}}

Notice the mystery pepper has a thicker wall than the cayenne, and is much more like the wall of the jalapeno.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now for my questions:

Could this be from a natural cross pollination from last year's Cayenne and Jalapeno peppers?

If it is a cross, is this common for the two varieties to cross or do I have something unique?

If I save seeds from this plant can I expect the same pepper next year or does it have to go through several generations to produce the same?

This pepper has a mildly hot flavor. I'm really not much on eating hot peppers raw, (too hot for me) but this is one that I can eat raw, has a "bite" but not blistering hot.

Thanks in advance!

Keith

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Though an old man, I am but a young gardener. -- Thomas Jefferson

Comments (11)