SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiehobo

Heat zones.

okiehobo
12 years ago

Did you know about the heat zones? "Well on course you do":):) seems like I'm the last one to know.:(:( And there is so much that I don't know that I need to know; and it will take a while to learn. Anyway for those who don't know The American Horticulture society has divided the U.S. into 12 zones: most of Okla, is in zone 8, with the exception of the extreme NE. corner of Okla, which is zone 7, and a small part of the southwest which is zone 9, and there are some micro climate areas. See the OK, heat zone map.

So have any of you noticed any of the plants in the stores being marked with a heat tolerance rating? I never knew to look.

These ratings will help determine how well any plant will stand up to the heat, and I can see that this would be a great help in particular to folks who are new to this area.

I can see where this would be almost as important as the winter hardiness rating,

When It freezes you know it' the next day, but heat damage is harder to detect in the beginning and its a lingering death, and those that do live are stunted and not very productive,

And on another note, for those who don't already know,And it has been mentioned on this site before, TX, Ark, and Kan, have excellent Ext, sites, Texas has absolutely the best site for good color pictures to identify both insects and plant disease.

If a picture is worth a thousand words then a good colored picture is worth ten thousand words, in my humble opinion.

James.

Comments (9)