SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butiaman

Butias & Sabals

14 years ago

I have noticed that all the Butia palms I see on the web and here are bluish green,all of mine are dark green.Does anybody know why all the pictures I see of them look more blue than green? Mine are very healthy plants just without the blue look.I am going to try some Sabal palms this comming spring,witch ones will do best for me?Ive been reading about Sabal Birminghams.They sound like there cold hardy enough but takes 15 to 20 yrs to form a trunk and actually look like palm tree instead of a bush type palm.There are some business places around town planting Cabbage palms,but there atleast 15 foot plants,and in two years they barley have any fronds on top of them and they put plastic over the tops in really cold weather.I cant start to guess what they had to pay for them and how long they will have to cover the tops during cold weather.Ive looked up Sabal Louisiana but they for the most part look ragged(brown tips etc)not a nice looking palm.I wonder if a 7 gal Sabal Palmetto will be big enough to be cold hardy enough for me?What is the fastest growing Sabal palm?and why does it take them so long to start having a trunk?The Butia palms starting at 3 gallons already have a trunk.Could someone who has knowledge with Sabals help me in my choice of what Sabals I should try?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus