SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnk827

Grow some cat grass

Lynn
15 years ago

Are your cats nibbling on your houseplants? Do you avoid houseplants because your cats chew on them? Then grow come cat grass!

I have three house cats. It didn't start out to be three. In fact I didn't want any in the house. I live in the country and had always had a dozen or so running around the barns, which was where I thought cats should live. Then some wild animal, a coyote or bobcat maybe, found my little smorgasbord. I'll skip the sad part of the story but three cats that were left went to a large pen every night. Then I got tired of going out in the cold to pen up the cats. Then the cats came in to sleep where it was cozy and I didn't have to run back and forth to the pen every morning and evening. Lucky cats!

So these three cats chewed on my houseplants. The houseplants came first and are not going anywhere. I have seen those little pots of "cat grass" in pet stores for $5, which seemed a waste of money to me when I could grow my own. So this past June when it was wheat harvest I drove by the elevator after hours and filled me a sandwich bag with seed. I have two large pots of wheat that I rotate thru the living room for the cats to chew on. I move one in to be chewed down while the other grows on the front porch in the sun. When the house pot looks sad I rotate it outside and bring in the bushy one. I keep the pot of wheat on the floor so it's easy access for the cats, and so far it has worked great. The cats get their greens and I haven't noticed any chewing on the houseplants.

Here's also an article I found this week about the subject:

What is cat grass?

Cat grass seed is usually sold under the name "cat grass", but it's really oat grass, wheat, barley or a combination of all three. Oat grass is particularly popular because it's sweet and the blades are non-serrated so they won't get stuck in your cats throat. The reason to purchase a product labeled "cat grass" is that it will most likely be pesticide free, organic, and manufactured for cat consumption.

Why sow cat grass?

Most animals like a little vegetation every now and again. Greens help with digestion and hairballs, provide folic acid and the chlorophyll is a natural breath freshener. If you live indoors 24/7 houseplants are pretty much the only option. And eating the houseplants is guaranteed to get cats in trouble and might even make them sick. It's even scarier for indoor-outdoor cats because who knows what's lurking out there under the guise of a tasty green? Cat grass offers a safe, non-destructive alternative.

Steps for growing cat grass.

Select a container that is at least 6-inches in diameter. Or even better grow it in a rectangular, flat bottom tray that you can lay in while nibbling on the grass.

Fill the container with sterile potting soil.

Sow seeds about 1/4-inch apart and cover with 1/2-inch of soil.

Gently water.

Place the pot or tray in a windowsill that receives good sunlight or under a grow light.

Keep the soil moist, but don't over water.

The seeds should germinate in about 7 days.

Cat grass is ready to serve when it's 2 to 3-inches tall, about 10 to 14 days after sowing.

If you sow seeds every week for two weeks you can alternate crops.

Keep the grass trimmed with scissors to 3-inches tall.

Once the grass begins to turn yellow, it's time to toss it out and start over.

Helpful Hints

To make cat grass easily accessible place the container near a food bowl or favorite sunning spot.

Don't forget Fido. Dogs can eat cat grass too! So can rabbits.

If your cat has a tendency to binge and purge, set the grass out for only a short period of time and then put it out of reach.

Comments (12)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lynn,

Lucky Cats!

I've never grown catgrass, but we overseed with rye grass on the south side of the house every autumn so we have green grass for fire protection, and the cats and dogs all eat the rye grass from time to time. (Unfortunately, so do the deer.)

Maybe I'll get some cat grass and plant some. At least it would be something green in the winter.

I don't keep houseplants inside at all. Between the cats and dogs, it is impossible to keep the plants from being 'misused' in various ways. I overwinter my brugs, after they drop their foliage in late autumn, in the tornado shelter, where they just sit there in a dormant state....pretty much like having them in the ground, except I don't have to worry about them freezing.

Dawn

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

I think Chia is good for cats, too, isn't it? Over on the cooking forum, Grainlady shared with us that she soaks Chia seed, which makes a gel, and adds it to her bread. It makes the bread very moist and sliceable and the slices don't fall apart when you make a sandwich. I bought some, and it works just like Grainlady said. This is the same stuff we all got for Christmas when we were kids, along with a pottery head or animal -- remember? It's really quick to sprout and grow. I bet it would be tasty for cats.

• Related Discussions

Need some direction too many grasses growing in my yard.

Q

Comments (1)
    From what I have read on this site (I have no personal experience with Kentucky Bluegrass) KBG is one of the slower grasses to germinate. 3 to 4 weeks usually. If you try to overseed it the existing lawn will grow back before it germinates and your KBG will not get enough sun to grow. You will end up with patches of KGB where the grass was already thin. The best results come from killing everything and planting all new grass. I am currently in the process of a complete renovation with Tall Fescue.
    ...See More

Some general grass growing Qs

Q

Comments (1)
    You're really up against it with regards to colder temps pushing in. I wouldn't count on much more germination at this point. Try a dormant seeding in January. That's your best bet. Go ahead and mow the tall stuff. I would mulch mow or remove the leaves.
    ...See More

wall of grasses, some aren't growing at the same rate?

Q

Comments (3)
    I can't tell varieties at this distance, but the second group of 2 are certainly smaller, both in height and in diameter of the crown. It's possible they were a year apart in age when you planted them. It's possible their conditions are different; soil, water, sun exposure, etc.. It also looks like you lost the one in the middle. I'd give them more time. There's a lot to be said for growing grasses to maturity in nursery beds, before creating so formal a display. This way you're more certain you have matching copies.
    ...See More

Cat grass seed dormancy in soil?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi All, I am trying to store a mixture of cat grass seeds (oat seeds?) and dry soil for convenience so I would have to just scoop a cup of the mixture into a bowl and simply add water. I am noticing that a 2-3 month old soil-seed mixture is no longer germinating. Does this mean that seeds die if stored in dry soil? Or could there be some other reason? Thanks! EDIT: just realized the question probably belongs to 'Growing from Seed Forum' so posted there. Please ignore this post, This post was edited by razarizvi on Thu, May 16, 13 at 22:38
    ...See More
  • Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Ilene,

Oh my! Chia pets! That sounds so very 1960s-1970s! LOL Weren't they the ultimate gift to buy somebody when you had no clue what else to get them? What a fun walk down memory lane.

I do think chia is supposed to be very healthy too. Can you taste it in the bread you make, Ilene?

Dawn

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

No, I really don't notice a difference in taste. Of course what I tried it in was a bread recipe that had several grains in it and that is normally too dry to make a good sandwich with.

I guess we're dating ourselves talking about Chia pets. But they still sell them!

I'm attaching a link for chia seed. --ilene

Here is a link that might be useful: Chia Seed Source

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Ilene,

Thanks for the link. I don't bake bread a lot in the spring and summer 'cause I'm outside so much, but I bake more in the fall and spring.

And, as far as the two of us showing our 'maturity' by discussing the heyday of the chia pet, oh well.....we are not old, just seasoned. I think gardening keeps you young and fit too. I have friends and neighbors here in their 20s, 30s and early 40s that I can run rings around....and I am 49. I think my brother bought me a chia pet one year, but I don't think I did very well with it. LOL

Dawn

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

You're just a youngster, yourself! I'm turning 62 in January.

In case you want to try it, Grainlady's recommendation is 2 tbsp of chia seed, soaked in the liquid that will be added to the recipe for two loaves of bread. Chia is also a good nutritional additive. Grainlady, from what I've seen in her posts, grinds her own flours and stores large tubs of grain in her basement. She sent me a link once to the Kansas Wheat Commission so I kinda gathered she lives in KS. She goes way further into it than I can, due to limited space (basements tend to fill up with water here, so homes with them are very few)but there's something to be learned from everyone who posts. --Ilene

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Ilean - I have never baked with chia, so that is something new to me. I also read grainlady's posting and she seems to be very knowledgeable, but so technical that I am sure she scares many people away from using whole grains. Of course, she claims to live on a budget of $50 a week for food, and I don't know anyone else who does that.

I laughed when I read windsurfgirl's original post about the cat grass. I don't have an inside cat, but I could have planted all three grains she mentioned without going to the store (and a few more). LOL

I love using grain to cook with, but I don't do it in a complicated way. In fact, I was starting to the kitchen to make bread when I stopped here to read my email first. I will grind wheat to replace half of the flour in the recipe. I think the bread benefits from just a bit more sweetener when using whole wheat flour, so I will increase that a bit with maybe a tablespoon of molasses, but that is as complicated as it gets. The loaf will still be light and rise well, but will have that wonderful full-bodied nutty taste that only whole wheat can give. Of course you get the added bonus of the extra nutrition. My husband is fine with total whole wheat, but he is not the only one that eats at my table and I don't want to scare them off. HaHa

He loves it when I throw a handful of barley in the soup, or rough grind the corn to make cornmeal. I have to admit that I don't do that very much because it is so loud. I also don't have a good sourse for dry corn. I always have popcorn and in an emergency situation that could be used. I guess I should get in the habit of growing my own.

Having said all that..............although I own a hand grinder, I use the electric one instead. George "macmex" not only grows his own corn, he hand grinds it. Now that's commitment.

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

You know, Carol, there's something to be said for being as self-sufficient as one can be, given their situation. When I think along these lines, I always remember back to when I was a young Navy wife living in Oakland CA while DH was out to sea. I made friends with the others in the apartment building, who were young and poor as DH and I were. One day, as we sat around in Marjie's apartment drinking coffee, someone mentioned how hungry they were for pizza but even pooling what money we had, we did not have enough to order. So I said, "This will buy the ingredients and we can MAKE pizza!" They were all dumbfounded. It had never occurred to them pizza could be MADE.

I, too, love to use whole grains but I have not begun to grind them myself. Maybe someday. I'm sure freshly ground grain tastes better. I find that a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice added to a 2-loaf whole wheat bread recipe makes for a better rise. My favorite is oatmeal bread, but I was born a country girl from German ancestors and we have to have our bread, so I enjoy almost all varieties.

I have no idea how much I spend a week for groceries because I stock up the freezer when certain things go on sale and I haven't been keeping track of it. I haven't bought a lot of groceries since March (that's when I retired and took back my kitchen from DH) as I discovered DH was forgetting what he had in the freezer and buying more. LOL! The freezer was so full I didn't have room for garden stuff, or to store extra baked goods. So we've been eating out of the freezer all summer. I do think $50 a week is low, but I don't know anything about Grainlady's family. I think she uses a lot of things that are unusual (to me) that are supposed to be more healthy, such as coconut oil instead of shortening, but I've priced most of them and they are terribly expensive. The Chia seed is not cheap, but a little goes a long way. I just don't think it's possible to feed teenage boys on $50 a week unless they're eating tons of Ramen noodles, beans and mac and cheese, and maybe not even then. LOL

I do wish I had more storage space and more garden space. But, the grandson has announced he's moving back in with his mom as soon as he graduates high school, and that's this spring, so I will have less need to grow in large quantities and therefore less need for storage space. Plus I will have an empty room when he moves out of his bedroom. Two, in fact, because he has taken over the den, as well, for his video games. Maybe some new shelves will be in order, when the time comes. --Ilene

• hank1949
    15 years ago

Ilene,

I went to that chia website you referred to in your post. There is a picture there but I can't make out what it is a picture of. Any of you know? The top strip looks like blue sky but for the life of me the rest is .....???

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Hank, I followed the link and everything looked ok to me. It's just a simple website with a bar across the top that looks like sky and grass. Then information in large letters on a green background below that. Try the link below and see if you have problems there, too. Should be a picture of a bag of black chia seeds and a long description of the benefits of chia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chia seed

• TheoryOfGravity
    11 years ago

There's not a lot of chit chat on the topic at places I have a membership, so I'm replying to a 4yr old thread. ;)

My dogs (75% chihuahua, 25% dachshund brothers) just turned 1yr old and have always like munching a little on the grass and weeds outside. So a few weeks ago, I picked up around six 4" pots of "cat grass" at the Home De Pot. I planted a few of them on top of a large strawberry planter with mint in the side holes for them to chaw when they want to.

We've been inside this last week because it's cold here in SoCal, so every other day, I cut one grass clump with scissors both to keep it trimmed and to give it to the little guys. I take it inside and they see it and start twirling--well, one twirls and the other dances on his hind legs. They have a hard time eating it from the bunch in my hand (their canine teeth can't grab it well). So I hold it high above and sprinkle it down like snow and they have the best time.

And they don't puke or have worms.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

:) Welcome to Oklahoma! (If only cyberspace Oklahoma) We had an earthquake in OKC last night, got everyone all excited and my Cali friends were laughing....but they pinpointed the 4.3 level before the USGS did.